• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chapter 46 IFC

cda

Sawhorse 123
1. Do you use chap 46 IFC much

2. Have you ameneded it

3. If so what sections

4. Have you enforced the retro active provisions

5. If so what sections

Chapter 46 IFC

1. Do you use chap 46 IFC much

Some

2. Have you ameneded it

No

3. If so what sections

NA

4. Have you enforced the retro active provisions

Yes just used it on a grocery store for emergency illumination and notification upgrades.

5. If so what sections

4604.1 thru 4604.5.1

When a application comes in where the scope of work is limited to specific areas I will use 46 to see what may be praticle to install at that time. Such as the grocery store was replacing light fixtures. That was the time to add the additional exit signs and emergency illumination fixtures along with horn strobes. We have not used it as part of our fire prevention inspections at this time and I do not see it in the future FPI's unless we run into a real death trap somewhere.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Basically, we have added extended deadlines for some of the retroactive provisions (i.e. two years from adoption for high rise egress path markings).

4. Yes

5. All of them as applicable.

I would add that the overwhelming majority of the buildings in the jurisdictions I serve were built from the mid-70s on. Most are not in need of retroactive upgrades to gain compliance. I'm not sure if the political will to enforce these would be there if the situation were different.

In reality, the Chapter 46 card is played at the inspector's discretion here. I can't say that most of us are actively looking to enforce retroactive provisions. Rather, we use it as a tool when we find a situation that warrants it.