• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chapter 46

khsmith55

Bronze Member
I would like to get the opinions from my colleagues in the building services, fire services and other design professional professionals as to the far reaching implications of Chapter 46 of the IFC. Just a few of my concerns are as follows:

1. Retroactive, with specific quantitive parameters now, that “shall” be met. The commentary states that “many” of these requirements were in previous codes. After review of the 2000, 2003, 2006 IFC’s I can find no retroactive reference to atriums (4603.4), Table 4604.18.2, vertical opening requirements (4603.3) and no exception for historical buildings, just to name a few.

2. Living in a community and county that did not have a building department prior to 1974, it would appear IFC Section 4604.1 requires a life safety evaluation be prepared and all deficiencies be remedied.

3. Table 4603.1 and Section 4603.3.4 has specific requirements for existing atriums. For professionals who previously worked under the UBC, this could be problematic since under the UBC an “atrium” was a three story space and not a two story space as defined in all editions of the IBC.

These are just a few of my many concerns. I implore my colleagues to read this chapter carefully, I have’ over a dozen times. Realize the implications.