• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

charcoal grill

treycash

Hey everyone, it is Trey again, from small town North Carolina. So during a routine inspection last week, I went in to a local BBQ and Steak restaurant. Walk in the kitchen and BAM a 30 dollar charcoal grill is sitting in the middle of the kitchen cooking food. No ventilation or anything. I immediately told them to remove the grill from inside the kitchen. They are now wanting to install a professional charcoal grill in the kitchen.

In NC we are using IFC 2012 with NC provisions. I told them to get a professional business to install the NEW professional charcoal grill and get the Hood suppression business out to change the nozzle and approve everything. Anything else in the code book they need to comply with? I have never dealt with inside charcoal grilling.

Yes charcoal or wood required to have separate hood and duct

IMc

506.3.5 Separation of grease duct system.

A separate grease duct system shall be provided for each Type I hood. A separate grease duct system is not required where all of the following conditions are met:

1. All interconnected hoods are located within the same story.

2. All interconnected hoods are located within the same room or in adjoining rooms.

3. Interconnecting ducts do not penetrate assemblies required to be fire-resistance rated.

4. The grease duct system does not serve solid-fuel-fired appliances.

507.2.4 Extra-heavy-duty.

Type I hoods for use over extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances shall not cover heavy-, medium- or light-duty appliances. Such hoods shall discharge to an exhaust system that is independent of other exhaust systems.

EXTRA-HEAVY-DUTY COOKING APPLIANCE. Extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances include appliances utilizing solid fuel such as wood, charcoal, briquettes, and mesquite to provide all or part of the heat source for cooking.

treycash,

Recommend that you document the finding of a non-compliant cooking system

in the restaurant, contact the restaurant and have them submit a code compliant

design for all aspects of any new system to be installed, send a copy of your letter

to the restaurant via "return receipt documented", ..a copy to the Fire Code Official,

and to the "powers-that-be" above you.

Any new "proposed" systems, should be fully compliant, with available U.L. ratings

and listings. Also, they should comply with the other applicable codes your small

town has adopted (i.e.- building code, mechanical code, Accessibility code,

electrical code, etc.).

Document, ..document, ..document, ..document.

Thanks for the help guys! You all are faster at answering my question than the State Fire Marshal Office. Also, I have documented it to the fullest and wrote a citation for it and am doing periodic stop by to double check they are not using the old grill.

hlfireinspector said:
Wow thought that only happens to me. Walked in 2 fish cookers (LP Tanks and all ) in center of kitchen.
isn't that required in the mississippi code?

hlfireinspector said:
Wow thought that only happens to me. Walked in 2 fish cookers (LP Tanks and all ) in center of kitchen.
Greetings,

Saw the same thing once except they were cooking chicken. I was then accused of being an ahole when I told them to remove it immediately. Oh well,

BSSTG

BSSTG said:
Greetings,Saw the same thing once except they were cooking chicken. I was then accused of being an ahole when I told them to remove it immediately. Oh well,

BSSTG
But, ******* you may be, no one died because of the restaurant catching fire. Therefore, I am awarding you the coveted ASSHAT of the WEEK! Shipping not included.

cda said:
2006 IRFC 308.5.2 - required under only when the following conditions are met without exception:

1. Listed cookers are occupied by no less than one male wearing a stained white tank top shirt

2. Occupant with one cigarette (filtered or unfiltered) in mouth

3. No less than .25" ashes hanging from cigarette at any given time

cda said:
2006 IRFC 308.5.2 - required under only when the following conditions are met without exception:

1. Listed cookers are occupied by no less than one male wearing a stained white tank top shirt

2. Occupant with one cigarette (filtered or unfiltered) in mouth

3. No less than .25" ashes hanging from cigarette at any given time

$ $ $

"ASSHAT of the WEEK AWARD"
**fireguy**,That's pretty darned funny ! :D

**rth**,

Those stained, white tank top t-shirts are [ typically ] referred to

"wife beater" t-shirts.

Also, ...that would be the "International Redneck Far Code" right ?

$ $ $

Last edited by a moderator:
% ~ ~ %

rth,

Thanks for posting on the Forum !.......I hope that you will come back

more often and provide your input !.......Also, please promote this Forum

to all of the code officials & colleagues that you know.......We are on

a continuous membership and active involvement drive.

% ~ ~ %