• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

charging station accessible parking

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
We are still on the 2018 IBC including appendix E which has nothing about an accessible parking space for elec. car charging station. There will be only one charging station. The closest thing I can find in the code for it is IBC 1104.2 that requires an accessible element to be on an accessible route from any accessible parking spaces. But the charger would be considered a U occupancy which doesn't required any accessibility. It is for a local nature area and is government funded. I don't know if it is state or federally funded. Since I can't require an accessible parking space and I think there should be does anyone have a idea of how I can at least suggest to the owners to have an accessible parking space for the charging station?

If we ever go to the 2021 IBC which does require an accessible parking space for even one charging station how would non disabled people use it? And how would you enforce it since it would be considered a U occupancy which doesn't required any accessibility?

Who made the decision to install the charging station?

Provide the 2021 information at review, maybe they will bite on it.

A charger is not a U....it is not an occupancy....it is a piece of equipment accessory to an occupancy that would require accessibility...Unless they can provide an exception...

Just to clarify: A charging station is NOT parking, any more than the area around a gas pump is parking.
out here in California, our code addresses how to make charging areas accessible. But calling it a parking space generates other unintended code and sometimes zoning issues.

There has been only one charging station project in a public parking area that I've been involved in, here in CA and as Yikes states CA code addresses this. There are six charges total and one was required to be accessible, the interesting part (I thought anyways) is that it's not exclusively reserved for ADA, anyone can use it.

Who made the decision to install the charging station?

Provide the 2021 information at review, maybe they will bite on it.
Don't know whoes decision it was but don't know why that matters. It was already permitted and I don't think I would do that anyway. But if it was required by the ADA I could encourage them to make it accessible but could not require it.

A charger is not a U....it is not an occupancy....it is a piece of equipment accessory to an occupancy that would require accessibility...Unless they can provide an exception...

It's in a existing parking lot in a nature area, not close to any building. We need to give everything a occupancy use per state law on the C. O., which took the place of IBC chapter 1, what else would it be but a U. Signs, fences and cell towers we call U so I would think a charging station would be a U too. They told me they have funding to put them in at every park and road side rests in PA.

Just to clarify: A charging station is NOT parking, any more than the area around a gas pump is parking.
out here in California, our code addresses how to make charging areas accessible. But calling it a parking space generates other unintended code and sometimes zoning issues.
Good point. Thus, it is a service subject to the requirements of Chapter 11 for accessible routes. Applicable sections are probably 1109.14 for fuel-dispensing systems and 1109.13 for controls, operating mechanisms, and hardware.

This will continue to be a developing subject like any other new material or system added to the code.

If you install an EV charging station you would have to comply with the applicable accessibility requirements. IBC section 1103.1 talks about where required and one of the components is facilities and the definition of a facility from the IBC is "All or any portion of buildings, structures, site improvements, elements and pedestrian or vehicular routes located on the site.

The 2021 IBC and ICC/ANSI A117.1-2017 edition provide further clarification for this situation.

There has been only one charging station project in a public parking area that I've been involved in, here in CA and as Yikes states CA code addresses this. There are six charges total and one was required to be accessible, the interesting part (I thought anyways) is that it's not exclusively reserved for ADA, anyone can use it.
Joe, we have a problem. If there are 6 chargers you will need two accessible charging space's. A van and a regular, and the van space shall be identified by an ISA on the pavement.

Joe, we have a problem. If there are 6 chargers you will need two accessible charging space's. A van and a regular, and the van space shall be identified by an ISA on the pavement.
Haha good catch, the problem is I didn't correctly explain, there are really only three chargers and each serves two spaces. One of the three stations has all of the accessibility requirements, they are laid out with the dimensions and markings as shown in the link Yikes just provided.

Haha good catch, the problem is I didn't correctly explain, there are really only three chargers and each serves two spaces. One of the three stations has all of the accessibility requirements, they are laid out with the dimensions and markings as shown in the link Yikes just provided.
sounds like you have 6 charging spaces using 3 dual head chargers. The requirement is based upon the number of spaces, not chargers. I should have been clearer