• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chat GPT AI Not Very Accurate (see test I ran)

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This is wrong and a good reason why this AI technology cannot be trusted. Yet.

Here is what Chat GPT had to say.

According to the 2018 International Residential Code (IRC), the maximum allowable span for a 2x10 #2 southern pine joist spaced 16 inches on center and supporting a 40 lb dead load and a 10 lb dead load is 12 feet 2 inches.

This information can be found in Table R507.5 of the 2018 IRC, which provides allowable spans for Southern Pine joists based on the joist depth, spacing, and the type of load they will be supporting. The table also includes adjustment factors for different conditions, such as wet service conditions, incised lumber, and live load duration.

So GOT AI been around a few months and it's not perfect? The IBC has been around 20 years and it's not perfect. Is the first version of anything, especially software, ever perfect? Windows 1.1? AutoCAD 1.0? The software in Teslas?

And of course no human has ever mis-read or mis-interpreted building code.

Reactions: ICE
So GOT AI been around a few months and it's not perfect? The IBC has been around 20 years and it's not perfect. Is the first version of anything, especially software, ever perfect? Windows 1.1? AutoCAD 1.0? The software in Teslas?

And of course no human has ever mis-read or mis-interpreted building code.
Hence the word YET. The concern is that not only will it give you inaccurate information, but you won't know it because you won't discuss it with others because you will think you are right. That is the value of conversation and interaction with others.

Hence the word YET. The concern is that not only will it give you inaccurate information, but you won't know it because you won't discuss it with others because you will think you are right. That is the value of conversation and interaction with others.
If you trust one source for an answer and don't check with at least 2 or 3, you're bound to get some bad advice. I don't know why you would trust AI soley any more than any other source.

I don't see how AI changes that. One source - whether a book or article or s person - you're exposed to that risk.

I read - two places - AI managed mutual funds out perform human managed - like by 5%. If you asked GPT AI 50 or 100 code questions, and a human the same, how will their accuracy compare?

Had to try it.

q: How tall of a step riser is allowed by code?

q: The allowed height of a step riser depends on the building code and local regulations in your area. Generally, most building codes specify a maximum height for a step riser of 7 3/4 inches (19.7 cm) and a minimum height of 4 inches (10.2 cm). However, it's important to note that local regulations may vary, so it's always a good idea to check with your local building department for specific requirements in your area. Additionally, some jurisdictions may have specific requirements for different types of buildings, such as residential versus commercial, so it's important to research the relevant codes for your specific situation.

q: in a hoseor office?

a: In a residential home, the International Residential Code (IRC) generally requires that the maximum riser height be 7 3/4 inches (19.7 cm) and the minimum riser height be 4 inches (10.2 cm).

In an office or other commercial building, the International Building Code (IBC) sets the maximum riser height at 7 inches (17.8 cm) and the minimum at 4 inches (10.2 cm). However, as with residential homes, local building codes may vary, so it's important to check with the local building department for specific requirements.

In any case, it's important to ensure that all steps in a building meet code requirements in order to promote safety and accessibility for everyone who uses the space.

Even fixed my typo.

q: In what states are 8 1/4" riser allowed?

a: As far as I know, there are no states in the United States that allow an 8 1/4" riser height for stairs in residential buildings. The International Residential Code (IRC) sets a maximum riser height of 7 3/4" for residential stairways, and this code has been adopted by most states in the US.

However, it's important to note that local building codes can vary, and some jurisdictions may have their own specific requirements that differ from the IRC. Therefore, it's always best to check with the local building department to determine the specific requirements for your area.

In any case, it's generally recommended to follow the standard code requirements for stair riser heights, as they are designed to promote safety and accessibility for everyone who uses the space.

Its a fun parlor game in any case.

Reactions: ICE
THAT IS THE VALUE OF THIS FORUM!

What you are talking about is confirmation bias, and it happens all the time, including to me. Often I am 90% certain of an assumption, then I come here to double check and find I was 90% wrong.

This was a pretty good overall. Only critique is that from my research the collar tie is not about the weight of the roof, but just about the wind uplift.

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 3.10.06 PM.png

q: In what states are 8 1/4" riser allowed?

a: As far as I know, there are no states in the United States that allow an 8 1/4" riser height for stairs in residential buildings.
Montana by administrative rules

(10) Subsection R311.7.5.1, Risers, is amended to allow a maximum riser height of 8 1/4 inches.

(11) Subsection R311.7.5.2, Treads, is amended to allow a minimum tread depth of nine inches.

So I just asked ChatGBT "what is max riser height allowed of a stair in Montana house?" and got correct (according to mtlogcabin and up.codes) answer - 8 1/4".

The more specific the question, the more specific the answer.

Still seems incorrect for Florida. Maybe by the time it's a year old it will do better.

I went on and told it it was wrong, asked me for help, and told it in Florida 7 3/4". Someone want to check and see if it learned? At least ChatGPT seems to accept a corrections gracefully.

The problem will occur when you ask someone for a second opinion, and that second person uses ChatGPT to give you the same answer that you already looked up yourself on Chat GPT. In that circumstance, it’s just an echo chamber.