• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chemical devoloping dark room ventiliation

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
I have a dark room for X-rays that uses a chemical developing solution. There is a supply air duct and a return air grill in a drop/suspended ceiling assembly. This is the first I've seen with no exhaust fan.

Where can I find info on if an exhaust fan is required?

Thanks

I see in IMC 2009 T403.3 that darkrooms require 1 CFM/FT² (thanks Jeff) but is there anything more specific in the IFC?

Last edited by a moderator:
So there is a fan and return already there? It is possible that the existing system may have been set up for this but only the original prints may show that depending on the setup and how it is balanced. The ventilation rate is a requirement that can be and is often incorporated into the HVAC.

jar546 said:
So there is a fan and return already there?
No, there is a supply and return, no fan.

It is possible that the existing system may have been set up for this but only the original prints may show that depending on the setup and how it is balanced. The ventilation rate is a requirement that can be and is often incorporated into the HVAC.
This is new construction MEP's being roughed in as we speak.

chris kennedy said:
I see in IMC 2009 T403.3 that darkrooms require 1 CFM/FT² (thanks Jeff) but is there anything more specific in the IFC?
Did not bother to look , but should not be to hazardous of chemicals

What is your concern, besides exhaust is required

cda said:
What is your concern, besides exhaust is required
Thats all, as I said I have never done a dark room without an EX fan and wanted to be sure before I have the GC fire off an RFI.

Remember, I'm just the electrician but adding a fan that holds up CO holds up my bosses final payment. This is a county health facility and getting CO's is a PITA so nip it in the bud now.

= \ = \ =

Chris,

Were there any Health Care standards used \ applied during the plan review ?

[ Typically ], most health care standards are more stringent & detailed in their

application.

/ = / = /

We have done many, many large projects at these state/county facilities in the last ten years and there has never been AHCA involvement.

chris kennedy said:
Thats all, as I said I have never done a dark room without an EX fan and wanted to be sure before I have the GC fire off an RFI.Remember, I'm just the electrician but adding a fan that holds up CO holds up my bosses final payment. This is a county health facility and getting CO's is a PITA so nip it in the bud now.
So is the chemicals in an open tray???

Seems a little strange chemicals are involved and not a digital set up???

Are the chemicals in a machine?? Closed system

cda said:
Seems a little strange chemicals are involved and not a digital set up???
I haven't seen a new Darkroom in a long time. Every new x-ray installation I've seen has been digital. Are they transferring equipment from an old facility?

cda said:
So is the chemicals in an open tray???Seems a little strange chemicals are involved and not a digital set up???

Are the chemicals in a machine?? Closed system
Msradell said:
I haven't seen a new Darkroom in a long time. Every new x-ray installation I've seen has been digital.
I know, at my dentist the X-ray is immediately displayed on a flat screen in front of me in the chair. But this is a state facility, crawling into the 21st century.

Here are the specs;

chris kennedy said:
I have a dark room for X-rays that uses a chemical developing solution. There is a supply air duct and a return air grill in a drop/suspended ceiling assembly. This is the first I've seen with no exhaust fan.Where can I find info on if an exhaust fan is required?

Thanks
I would like to suggest you to fit a normal air conditioner or air heating filter which can be easily available at any hardware or home improvement store.

https://vimeo.com/85987398

anyone installing a film imaging device in this day and age is out of touch with reality. better check the floor loading on their film storage room while your at it.