• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

chemistry question

cda

Sawhorse 123
is Oxygen and Nitrous Oxide

a. an oxide

b. an oxidizing gas

c. both

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The answer would be C for Nitrous Oxide and B for Oxygen.

tmurray said:
I'm not sure I understand your question. The answer would be C for Nitrous Oxide and B for Oxygen.
is NO2

a. an oxidizer

b. an oxidizing gas

c. both

is oxygen

a. an oxidizer

b. an oxidizing gas

c. both

trying to figure out max allowed in storage of each before you are an H

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I figured it out, looks like I am dealing with an oxidizing gas per table 2703.1.1

and max is 1500 and can double because building is sprinkled.

cda said:
I think I figured it out, looks like I am dealing with an oxidizing gas per table 2703.1.1and max is 1500 and can double because building is sprinkled.
Agreed. However I believe it's NOx, NO2 is air pollution and N20 should make you laugh :)

Nitric Oxide; NO is good for you.

Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
can't get my chemistry words correct today!!!!!!!!!!! no wonder I failed

cda said:
is NO2 a. an oxidizer

b. an oxidizing gas

c. both

is oxygen

a. an oxidizer

b. an oxidizing gas

c. both

ok, my initial answer stands then. Oxides are a combination of at lease one oxygen molecule and another element. An oxidizing gas is any gas that contains oxygen at levels greater than that found in regular air.

Don't forget IFC 3006. These are probably medical gasses, yes? If the quantity is over the "permit amount", which is 504 cu. ft. according to Table 105.6.8, there will be construction/ventilation issues, even if below the max amount per control area (1500 cu ft non sprinklered, 3000 sprinklered).

Dr. J said:
Don't forget IFC 3006. These are probably medical gasses, yes? If the quantity is over the "permit amount", which is 504 cu. ft. according to Table 105.6.8, there will be construction/ventilation issues, even if below the max amount per control area (1500 cu ft non sprinklered, 3000 sprinklered).
Thanks

Already roomed and sprinkled

They indicated on plans less than exempt amounts and once build had a few extra tanks

They decided they did not need them and reduced the amount of tanks