• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Children Indoor Play Structure

yz2411

Hi fellows,

I am starting an indoor playground in Washington state. Play area is about 1800 sqft.

According to the IBC 2018:
424.5 Area limits
Children's play structure shall not be greater than 300 sqft (28sqmeter) in area, unless a special investigation, acceptable to the building official has demonstrated adequate fire safety.

Can anyone share more information about the "special investigation". Who and how to conduct it?

Thank you,
Yalin

Hi fellows,

I am starting an indoor playground in Washington state. Play area is about 1800 sqft.

According to the IBC 2018:
424.5 Area limits
Children's play structure shall not be greater than 300 sqft (28sqmeter) in area, unless a special investigation, acceptable to the building official has demonstrated adequate fire safety.

Can anyone share more information about the "special investigation". Who and how to conduct it?

Thank you,
Yalin
The purpose of this investigation is to ensure that, despite exceeding the standard area limit, the play structure still maintains adequate fire safety. This may involve assessing materials used, the design of the play area, and evacuation plans.

This investigation is usually carried out by a qualified fire protection engineer or a consultant who specializes in fire and life safety. These professionals have the expertise to evaluate the fire safety aspects of your structure.

Your first step should be to contact the local building department in Washington state. They can provide guidance on the specific requirements and might recommend or approve specific professionals to conduct the investigation.

The special investigation would likely be done by multiple parties representing both the design of the structure (structural to child physical and psychology), accessibility, sanitization, egress, and fire protection. The firms that provide these play areas are typically accustomed to this and will likely be able to identify the third party they have worked with (or may proposed to do it themselves, but AHJ may not accept this).

With larger play areas such as proposed, material combustibility and smoke generation are a primary issue. Foam and plastics are a common material, both posing a significant hazard. Providing appropriate fire protection and smoke control are critical.

Doesn't affect your project, however, take note that in the 2021 WA Building Code, the limit is 600sf.

2021 IBC as amended by WA SBCC

424.5 Area Limits

Play structures shall be not greater than 600 square feet (56 m2) in area, unless a special investigation, acceptable to the building official, has demonstrated adequate fire safety.

424.5.1 Design

Play structures exceeding 600 square feet (56 m2) in area or 10 feet (3048 mm) in height shall be designed in accordance with Chapter 16.​

The change from 300 to 600 happened in the 2018 IBC I believe. Here is the BCAC notes:
Not much of an explanation in the change from 300 to 600sf herein.

The change from 300 to 600 sf is interesting. Could you provide a link where I could find the original text? Thank you very much.

Go to the following (2021 code), scroll to Section 424.5, click the Premium Code Insight link for Code Change Details

2018 - https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/I...ed-on-occupancy-and-use#IBC2018P6_Ch04_Sec424
2021 - https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/I...ed-on-occupancy-and-use#IBC2021P2_Ch04_Sec424
If you do not have the premium access, the 2018 Group A proposed changes are available from ICC at https://media.iccsafe.org/codes/2018-2019/GroupA/CAH/IBC-G.pdf. Vote record shows it passed as modified 14-0. See following from https://www.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/2018-REPORT-OF-THE-COMMITTEE-ACTION-HEARING.pdf.

How to define play structures? I have large area left empty to place loose toys. The actual space occupied by fixed play equipment is less than 600sf. Maybe the 2021 rule will apply in my case.

I think you know a play structure when you see it... but it is defined in the IBC.
[BG] PLAY STRUCTURE. A structure composed of one or more components, where the user enters a play environment.

If it is a play area with toys, I would not assess that it is a "structure".

1704472392341.png 1704472435126.png 1704472436179.png

I am thinking something like this. Do you call it play structure? Does any of the 424 section apply?

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 8.56.50 AM.png

I am thinking something like this. Do you call it play structure? Does any of the 424 section apply?

View attachment 12511
The small play-related, scaled-down buildings would be play structures (they can be entered). The bus, firetruck, and table would not be IMHO (played on/with, but not entered).

Keep in mind the scoping statement of Section 424. 10-ft tall or >150sf in area will need to comply with 424. The material specifications in 424.2 is probably one of the most important items to consider IMHO.

2021 WA-Building Code

Section 424 Play Structures

424.1 General

Play structures installed inside all occupancies covered by this code that exceed 10 feet (3048 mm) in height or 150 square feet (14 m2) in area shall comply with Sections 424.2 through 424.5.