• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chinese Apartment Building Collapse...

JBI

Everyone remember the (hilarious) Chinese apartment building collapse last year? I just got a follow-up on it through my local NYSBOC Chapter.

I wish the pictures and graphics would have pasted in! :x If I can figure out how, I'll post them as well... :roll: Enjoy the text in the meantime...

A big oops!!!!

YES, IT IS A 12 STORY BUILDING IN CHINA . LYING ON THE GROUND.

(1) An underground garage was being dug on the south side, to a

depth of 4.6 meters.

(2) The excavated dirt was being piled up on the north side, to a

height of 10 meters.

(3) The building experienced uneven lateral pressure from south and

north.

(4) This resulted in a lateral pressure of 3,000 tonnes, which was

greater than what the pilings could tolerate. Thus the building

toppled over in the southerly direction.

*First, the apartment building was constructed.*

Then the plan called for an underground garage to be dug out. The excavated soil was piled up on the other side of the building.

*Heavy rains resulted in water seeping into the ground.*

The building began to tilt.

The building began to shift and the *_hollow_* concrete pilings were snapped due to the uneven lateral pressures

And thus was born the eighth wonder of the world.

If the buildings were closer together there would also have been a domino effect.

Now that, folks, is a snafu.

Don't you feel better now, that these are the folks manufacturing nearly EVERYTHING we buy and use today?

Re: Chinese Apartment Building Collapse...

John,

I received that e-mail also, ...about a week and a half ago. I could not ' cut & paste '

it from my regular e-mail address either! :eek:

It's not supposed to be funny, but danged if this one isn't. The photos are choice!

I'm rather surprised that the photos were allowed to get out of Comm. China. It

doesn't bode well for their engineering of the site. Some of the officials in the pics.

just have that ' deer in the headlights look on their faces '.

See this link:

http://www.chinahush.com/2009/06/28/sha ... -collapse/

It's their way of practicing the time honored Chinese tradition of Saving Face. They recalled a tremendous amount of their own sheetrock, without drawing attention to the sheetrock itself.

globe - Nice link with some very good photos. The e-mail I got also had some renderings of why it happened. Maybe this weekend I can put them up...