• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

chirping hard wired smoke alarms

BruceY30

GREENHORN
I have 5 hard wired smoke detectors through out my home. They get their backup batteries replaced every 6 months with high quality alkaline type. When the electric power goes out, they begin to chirp alternating from each one, one at a time. Are they getting old? The house is 17 years old. The smoke alarm info follows
BRK Electronics
Model 4120SB
Issue #61,161
I assume date of manufacture 2008 MAR 15

May be the way they are set up.
I have seen different brands do different things

Sounds like they are interconnected, which has been required for awhile.

When the power is out and you push the test button,,, do they all still sound??

At the ten year mark they all need to be replaced. With interconnected ones, if that is what you have now.

I've had that problem in a new house, the backup batteries constantly going out and chirping, a couple of these are 30' high. I finally told my customer to disconnect the very high ones, the danger of falling off ladders changing batteries is more than the possibility of a fire. When a home has a backup generator I see no reason to have backup batteries in smokes.

Smoke alarms/CO detectors have a operating life of around 8-10 years.........mine start chirping around then, I replaced them.......problem solved.

I assume date of manufacture 2008 MAR 15

What convinced you of that?

There should be a date of manufacture on the label. Many have an expiration date as well. In any event, they are old and should be replaced with the ten year battery model.

What convinced you of that?

There should be a date of manufacture on the label. Many have an expiration date as well. In any event, they are old and should be replaced with the ten year battery model.

Not sure if hardwired comes in the ten year battery

Not sure if hardwired comes in the ten year battery
Yeah, I was glad to see hardwired come into the code to get rid of the battery problems, in the end they vastly complicated it, does anybody know the brand name of a good hardwired smoke alarm that doesn't have battery problems? That way we builders can tell our architects what to specify.

I called phone number on back of alarm. Turns out BRK and First Alert are same company. They suggested since 17 years old, I should replace. Went out yesterday and bought enough to swap out all hard wired alarms I have

Yeah, I was glad to see hardwired come into the code to get rid of the battery problems, in the end they vastly complicated it, does anybody know the brand name of a good hardwired smoke alarm that doesn't have battery problems? That way we builders can tell our architects what to specify.
Low voltage with a single battery for the system. On the other end of the spectrum is wireless with 10 year battery that can be interconnected.