• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

christmas gift idea

Hey Charles -

Now THIS seems like a thoughtful gift! :) Do these things really work? I think I read too much about fires so I think about residential sprinklers a lot. I live in a really old house and it seems like the dryer and the furnace (close to the dryer) are the biggest fire hazards in the house. I've wondered what it would take to put sprinklers in the basement. This seems too easy (and cheap) though.

Last edited by a moderator:
two problems to far down from the ceiling, so by the time there is enough heat to activate it, the rest of the house will burn down

and it is a sidewall, so will have a stange spray pattern

It would much easier and more effective to have the "qualified" plumber tap off the cold water line and use a ceiling mounted scheme for the room of choice. NFPA 13 has some good direction for "limited area sprinklers" for domestic supply.

Each year over 15,000 fires originate in laundry areas, causing 16 deaths, 433 injuries and over $200 million in damage.

This line from the E-Bay pitch reminds me of an interesting story I'll share.

A couple years ago the wife and I pull up to the house after a nice evening out and the kids from next door run up to the car yelling, Mr. Chris Mr. Chris, house is on fire!!! I run over there to find smoke and water damage in the laundry. FD had already been there and put the fire out. What I find is a pile of burnt cloths crammed between the gas WH and the dryer. The cover for the WH's pilot is missing and ignited the pile of cloths. Can't fix stupid.