• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

City of Chicago IL Building Code ("Guards")

tbz

Silver Member
Hello everyone,

Spent the last hour on the internet trying to find the guard portion of the building code for the City of Chicago and yes I tried to call also once.

Can't seem to find the portion of their code that details the guards portions like the IBC 1013 and the IRC R312

If anyone has a code section number or link or printed page or contact I can call please let me know.

We are building a guard for a client and we would like to verify the code.

Thank you

Tom

Tom, I assume that you found these. There is also a Porch Design and Construction Guidelines publication here http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/bldgs/general/Porch/Porch2011/RevPorch_Guide52611_Secured.pdf. I don't know if it has the force of law, but it does give basic design information that appears to parallel the I-Codes.

ui-bookmark.gif
13-52-100 Thrusts on handrails and guards.

Stairway, porch, deck and balcony railing, both exterior and interior, shall be designed to resist a simultaneous vertical and horizontal thrust of 50 lbs./ft. (pounds-force, per linear foot) applied at the top of the railing or a concentrated load of 200 lbs./ft. in any direction, whichever produces the greatest stress. For one- and two-family dwelling units, a thrust of 20 lbs./ft. may be used instead of 50 lbs./ft. for interior stair balusters or wall-mounted interior handrails only.

ui-bookmark.gif
13-160-320 Stairways – Handrails.

(a) All stairways shall have walls, railings or guards on both sides and shall have handrails on both sides except as follows:

(1) Stairs less than 44 inches wide may have a handrail on one side only.

(2) Intermediate handrails, continuous between landings, shall be provided where required to provide a lateral distance between handrails not exceeding 88 inches.

(b) In assembly units every handrail mounted on a wall shall have its ends returned and joined to the wall.

© In nursing homes and sheltered care facilities, all corridors and passages used by patients shall be provided with handrails on both sides.

The height to the top of handrails shall be two feet, ten inches to three feet, two inches above the floor and shall return to the wall.

(Prior code § 67-10.3; Amend Coun. J. 10-1-03, p. 9163, § 4.11)

ui-bookmark.gif
18-11-1116.4.2.1 Edge protection.

Edge protection shall be provided and shall extend 2 inches (51 mm) minimum above the ground or deck surface.

Exception: If the railing, guard or handrail is 34 inches (864 mm) or less above the ground or deck surface, edge protection shall not be required if the deck surface extends 12 inches (305 mm) minimum beyond the inside face of the railing. Toe clearance shall be 9 inches (229 mm) minimum above the ground or deck surface beyond the railing. Toe clearance shall be 30 inches (762 mm) minimum wide.

ui-bookmark.gif
18-11-1116.4.2.2 Height.

At least 25 percent of the railings, guards, or handrails shall be 34 inches (864 mm) maximum above the ground or deck surface.

Exception: This provision shall not apply to that portion of a fishing pier or platform if a guard that is required to comply with the guard height and guard opening limitations of Chapter 18-10, Means of Egress, is provided.

(Amend Coun. J. 7-26-06, p. 81373, § 1)

ui-bookmark.gif
18-11-1116.4.2.3 Dispersion.

Railings required to comply with Section 18-11-1116.4.2.2 shall be dispersed throughout a fishing pier or platform.

Roger,

Thats pretty much what I found too.

The problem is as you noted really tells you much about were guards are required, if they are required and or how high they need to be.

Here's another code section. I think that this is what you want.

ui-bookmark.gif
13-124-335 Openings in guards.

Open guards shall have balusters or ornamental patterns such that a four-inch-diameter sphere cannot pass through any opening up to a height of 34 inches. From a height of 34 inches to 42 inches above the adjacent walking surfaces, a sphere eight inches in diameter shall not pass.

Exceptions:

1. The triangular openings formed by the riser, tread and bottom rail at the open side of a stairway shall be of a maximum size such that a sphere of six inches in diameter cannot pass through the opening.

2. At elevated walking surfaces for access to and use of electrical, mechanical or plumbing systems or equipment, guards shall have balusters or be of solid materials such that a sphere with a diameter of 21 inches cannot pass through any opening.

3. In Class G, H-1, H-2 and I occupancies and in Residential Restrained Care Facilities in Class B occupancies, balusters, horizontal intermediate rails or other construction shall not permit a sphere with a diameter of 21 inches to pass through any opening.

4. In assembly seating areas, guards at the end of aisles where they terminate at a fascia of boxes, balconies and galleries shall have balusters or ornamental patterns such that a four-inch-diameter sphere cannot pass through any opening up to a height of 26 inches above the adjacent walking surfaces. From a height of 26 inches to 42 inches above the adjacent walking surfaces, a sphere eight inches in diameter shall not pass.

Guards shall not have an ornamental pattern that would provide a ladder effect.

The Chicago Building Code means putting cash in an envelope for the inspector. Put in enough, and you pass. Not enough, fail.

rogerpa said:
Here's another code section. I think that this is what you want.
ui-bookmark.gif
13-124-335 Openings in guards.

Open guards shall have balusters or ornamental patterns such that a four-inch-diameter sphere cannot pass through any opening up to a height of 34 inches. From a height of 34 inches to 42 inches above the adjacent walking surfaces, a sphere eight inches in diameter shall not pass.

Exceptions:

1. The triangular openings formed by the riser, tread and bottom rail at the open side of a stairway shall be of a maximum size such that a sphere of six inches in diameter cannot pass through the opening.

2. At elevated walking surfaces for access to and use of electrical, mechanical or plumbing systems or equipment, guards shall have balusters or be of solid materials such that a sphere with a diameter of 21 inches cannot pass through any opening.

3. In Class G, H-1, H-2 and I occupancies and in Residential Restrained Care Facilities in Class B occupancies, balusters, horizontal intermediate rails or other construction shall not permit a sphere with a diameter of 21 inches to pass through any opening.

4. In assembly seating areas, guards at the end of aisles where they terminate at a fascia of boxes, balconies and galleries shall have balusters or ornamental patterns such that a four-inch-diameter sphere cannot pass through any opening up to a height of 26 inches above the adjacent walking surfaces. From a height of 26 inches to 42 inches above the adjacent walking surfaces, a sphere eight inches in diameter shall not pass.

Guards shall not have an ornamental pattern that would provide a ladder effect.
Thanks Roger,

Why in that section of the code, but just what I was looking for