• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

City of Denver attempts to improve permitting times

Until I see something like this, hard to know how good I've got it. Walk into building department with plans and application, walk out with zoning and building permits all but in my hands and verbal approval to begin work. 250 days? Government at its best.

Verbal approval? Where does the code say anything about that?
Do all jurisdictions administrate exactly per the code? Do they even adopt that chapter? And who cares in a very small community, where everyone knows everyone and a lot of work is done without permits anyways. It's like I'm voluntarily supporting the township.

The placards arrive a few days later anyways.

For some strange reason I feel compelled to try to a challenge not even offered and go to Denver to work on fixing the problem without losing sight of code requirements.

The article states that the city utilizes the services of a third party contractor to review permits. The city will get as much help from the contractor as the city is willing to pay for.

The mayor is ready to spend $200k on a study in an attempt to identify the problem that has caused the backlog. If the city employees can’t even handle that, what’s the odds that they’ll fix it on their own?

They can’t simply remove the hurdles…. They need to run a faster race. Willdan to the rescue.

Last edited:
Do all jurisdictions administrate exactly per the code? Do they even adopt that chapter?
PA did not adopt chapter 1 but has its own code for this. For commercial it's a little different but for existing residential homes it has a lot more exceptions for a permit then the IRC.

Nothing like putting some projects automatically ahead of others.....That will fix all of the problems...But I do applaud them for staffing up a bit, that is the first step..I do feel better about our timing now...

PA did not adopt chapter 1 but has its own code for this. For commercial it's a little different but for existing residential homes it has a lot more exceptions for a permit then the IRC.
Neither did NY, at least without a lot of amendments.

One of NY more interesting amendments is requiring an architect if a one or two family dwelling is larger than 1500 SF. Haven't figured out if I can build a 1499 SF house and add 1499 SF next year . ... (And won't bother - would like to move to about 750 SF - which is the smallest zoning here permits without a variance.)

I'm sure the practices in larger jurisdictions is not as relaxed as mine - one person department serving 4 jurisdictions (with no delays or long waits).

Neither did NY, at least without a lot of amendments.

One of NY more interesting amendments is requiring an architect if a one or two family dwelling is larger than 1500 SF. Haven't figured out if I can build a 1499 SF house and add 1499 SF next year . ... (And won't bother - would like to move to about 750 SF - which is the smallest zoning here permits without a variance.)

I'm sure the practices in larger jurisdictions is not as relaxed as mine - one person department serving 4 jurisdictions (with no delays or long waits).
Someone should bring in a Hiawatha Estes set of plans and see what they would say. He was a licensed architect.

Crikey. I just finished a review of a fairly large apartment building.... Plans came in last week.

Hasn't even received land-use approval yet. Maybe I should ask for a raise.