• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Class 2 wiring

Michael Brown

SAWHORSE
Pardon my ignorance as I am just an equipment installer that only works on new construction projects. I am starting to see more jurisdictions require that we pull a low voltage permit for our Class 2 thermostat wire for our HVAC installations. When I asked for documentation to pass this additional cost on to our customer, I was told that Class 2 wire is in the NEC and therfore required an inspection and a permit. I am not arguing that point but that wiring has traditionally been covered under our mechanical permit. If our mechanical permit is no longer adequate, could it not be inpected under the electrician's permit?

If the electrician is willing to take credit for your work, there is precious little the municipality can do to stop you from having it under the electrician's permit.

As long as it gets inspected, that is what matters. Are they requiring that so that they know to send an electrical inspector rather than a mechanical inspector out on the inspections?

Many municipalities don't even inspect low voltage stuff.