• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Class A Roof Coverings

Glennman CBO

Silver Member
Pardon me for being too simplified here, can anyone give me an example in the 2009 IBC where a Class A roof covering is required?

Type of construction, fire separation distance, etc?

Thanks in advance.

In California, R902.1.1 Roof coverings within Very-High Fire Hazard Severity Zones.

CBC 1505.1.1 Roof coverings within very high fire hazard severity zones

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe if your jurisdiction has a "fire District" as outlined by the code - generally an area where development is dense and has a large population with the potential for large property and/or life loss. (Downtown for example)

Appendix D

D102.2.4 Roof covering. Roof covering in the fire district

shall conform to the requirements of Class A or B roof coverings

as defined in Section 1505.

A class A roof is not required any where in the 2009 IBC (or any edition that I can recall).

WUIC

504.2 Roof covering.

Roofs shall have a Class A roof assembly. For roof coverings where the profile allows a space between the roof covering and roof decking, the space at the eave ends shall be firestopped to preclude entry of flames or embers, or have one layer of 72-pound (32.4 kg) mineral-surfaced, nonperforated cap sheet complying with ASTM D 3909 installed over the combustible decking.

Very interesting on the Wildland Urban Interface Code.

I just found it interesting that there is a Class A rated roof covering in the IBC, but nowhere is it called out as required. I'll look at the appendix, but it is not adopted. I don't know about the WUIC though. Thanks everyone for the replies!

TABLE 1505.1 a, b

MINIMUM ROOF COVERING CLASSIFICATION FOR TYPES OF CONSTRUCTION

a. Unless otherwise required in accordance with the International Wildland-Urban Interface Code or due to the location of the building within a fire district in accordance with Appendix D

Just like any referenced standard the Wildland Urban Interface does not require adoption for the CLass A roof covering requirement as noted in foot note "a" of Table 1505.1

mtlogcabin said:
TABLE 1505.1 a, bMINIMUM ROOF COVERING CLASSIFICATION FOR TYPES OF CONSTRUCTION

a. Unless otherwise required in accordance with the International Wildland-Urban Interface Code or due to the location of the building within a fire district in accordance with Appendix D

Just like any referenced standard the Wildland Urban Interface does not require adoption for the CLass A roof covering requirement as noted in foot note "a" of Table 1505.1
Depends on where you are, California does not require adoption, it is a part of the code.

Fire Classification in 1505 at Table 1505.1 Lists MINIMUM ROOF COVERING CLASSIFICATION FOR TYPES OF CONSTRUCTION

By that chart I can only require a Class B or a Class C as a Building Official --- UNTIL the DRP Specifies a Class A - then I enforce the approved plans.