• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Classification for facilites at Metal Mine

nbun

Hi. Am designing personnel facilites for a metal mine, e.g toilet, clinic, lunch area, etc. that would be located inside the mine. Can anyone advise what category would this fall in? Am thinking it would fall into business (B) or factory (F).

Thanks

clinic, B
lunch area, B or A

Size does matter. ...
Thanks for your input. My concern is more of classifying the overall mine facility - whether its a business or a factory or something else. IBC mentioned different ratios of toilet to user for different occupancy group. Am not sure of which to follow.

Well you might be doing some performance based design??

Not sure how IBC would fit in a hole in the ground???

Plus this is not in the USA?? Right

The mine is the location, the use is based on the building and what is happening in the building. If the use is located in an underground mine, then I would look at like a tenant in a mall, and apply the use to the tennat

Last edited:
But it is a MINE

as in basement no windows and access to ground level not directly from some rooms/ area.

And more than likely no fire sprinkler system.

But have not been underground in a long time.

Sounds performance based to me????

Remember the soccer team

Not sure it meets the definition of structure

So if not does the scope of IBC apply?

Cda, the mine has its rib and back enforced by wire mesh & shortcrete ; so it actually consist of a enclosed built structure. I think it fits the min. criteria of a structure.

Builder Bob - agree that it should follow section 405 based on its physical location.

What i haven't found in the code is where does the mine belong in terms of occupancy classification.

Cda, the mine has its rib and back enforced by wire mesh & shortcrete ; so it actually consist of a enclosed built structure. I think it fits the min. criteria of a structure.

Builder Bob - agree that it should follow section 405 based on its physical location.

What i haven't found in the code is where does the mine belong in terms of occupancy classification.

Will there be a fire sprinkler system installed?

Travel distance met?

Door to public way?

Etc

To answer your question

You type the use of the room/ area

The mine itself, I would say “U”

If anything

I still say IBC does not apply

cda. thanks for the project reference. v interesting. will try to talk with the engineers.
travel distance is another issue. its definitely not met atm.

one of the design direction is to try adapting as much US building regulations & codes as possible. The electrical engineers do use NEC but am not sure of other NFPA codes.