• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Classroom security

& ^ & ^ &

"cdaThis deserves more than the "thanks" click; great info & I am sending to all my Fire Marshal crew"
We agree !..........Please encourage your colleagues, and othersto become Sawhorsies and support this GREAT Forum ! :cool:

& ^ & ^ &

Rider Rick

The code section you gave is for disabled access. Yes a door stop attached to a door leaf in the "smooth" zone is a violation. Is your question relative to classroom security?

I read the post and saw that code and had a question? Did I do something wrong?

Nothing wrong, the thread is more on security than access, just wondered where you were going with the question.

Fire marshals usually get very excited when they see these door stops, especially on rated doors with closers!

Unfortunately Chapters 9 & 10 of CBC and 11B do not have enough clarification as to where hardware not required by FLS may be required by access.

The case above is an example.

Note: UL does not test for ADA compliance, no one is authorized to do so. As ISA on spec sheets is not a "GoodHouse Keeping " seal of approval.

It is for the manufacturers to claim and us to question that claim.

http://www.assaabloydss.com/Local/DSS/Applications/education/Lock%20Functionality%20White%20Paper.pdf

A classroom security function (ANSI mortise F09/bored F88) allows the door to be locked by key on the inside, removing the risk of a teacher having to enter the hallway to lock the door. This presents a different challenge – if the exterior lever is locked (by the interior cylinder) during the school day, it could create interruptions in the class as the teacher would need to let students into the room. Also, as with the classroom function described above, the key holder must be present to lock the door.

mark handler said:
http://www.assaabloydss.com/Local/DSS/Applications/education/Lock%20Functionality%20White%20Paper.pdfA classroom security function (ANSI mortise F09/bored F88) allows the door to be locked by key on the inside, removing the risk of a teacher having to enter the hallway to lock the door. This presents a different challenge – if the exterior lever is locked (by the interior cylinder) during the school day, it could create interruptions in the class as the teacher would need to let students into the room. Also, as with the classroom function described above, the key holder must be present to lock the door.
Mark,

Does the lock need a key to unlock the door from the inside?

I discussed this with DC and reviewed the meaning of egress with regards to door function.

It appears clear that use of a key is permissable for the exterior or entry side of an exempt room but that egressing from a room requires one action that retracts the bolt and releases the latch (required by Chapter 10 of CBC).

An exempt room may retain an existing knob until such time as an accommodation is requested. ( Best practice however, to avoid any misunderstandings/perceptions would be to change all knobs to levers. )