• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

clearance is for the catwalk in Georgia

alexga907

Good afternoon

We are working on a project in Georgia. We have a 5’ tall clearance box in the catwalk models for fire code clearance height. The trouble is, we are having trouble hitting that in all the locations.

any advice on what the proper fire clearance is for the catwalk in Georgia? – especially if it's less – for coordination.

Thanks

What kind of catwalk or what is it for?

Practically every building I've worked on has catwalks for entertainment lighting. In new construction I have always insisted on 6'-8" clear height (and 1'-10" clear width). I've had two projects where the height was under 6'-8" and modifications were required. One was the bottom chord of a truss - a very stout wide flange. The engineers fix was a pair of really big and thick steel plates, all over a completed auditorium. Ugly. The others was a stair to the catwalks. Also very extensive changes to the structure. I base my recommendations on OSHA but the IBC is not really different for MOE. I also spent a lot of time working on catwalks before moving to a design career, and really appreciated not banging my head on low clearance.