• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Clearance Requirements above garage panel

ClintRunner

Hi! Does anyone know of any code restrictions that would prohibit installing a Mr. heater gas forced air heater in a detached garage in the ceiling directly above a 100 amp circuit panel?

110.26(E)(1)(a) The space equal to the (1) width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(E)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

110.26(E)(1)(a) The space equal to the (1) width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(E)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

Thanks for your reply! For my future reference, can you please tell me from source you obtained this information?

So provided that I’m reading section A and B correctly, and I have a 9 foot ceiling, it would be a violation of code to hang the heater directly above the electrical panel zone since it can not hang 6 ft above the panel since the ceiling is much lower?

Thanks for your reply! For my future reference, can you please tell me from source you obtained this information?

So provided that I’m reading section A and B correctly, and I have a 9 foot ceiling, it would be a violation of code to hang the heater directly above the electrical panel zone since it can not hang 6 ft above the panel since the ceiling is much lower?

That is the National Electric Code (NEC) which is enforced in all municipalities in Pennsylvania. There is an exception which he listed in his post (b) that clearly states how you can comply. The professional electrician and mechanical contractors that do the install should be aware of all the requirements so they can pass the inspection with the permit you will secure to ensure you don't kill your family or the future homeowner.

So per section (B) in order to comply, a heater would need to be placed 6 ft above the electrical panel (if space allows) if it’s within the panel working space zone with provided protection installed beneath it to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from i.e. condensation dripping? Am I interpreting this correctly?

You are not likely "directly above" the panel.....You are likely in front and maybe above the working clearance....

E3405.2 Working clearances for energized equipment and
panelboards. Except as otherwise specified in Chapters 34
through 43, the dimension of the working space in the direction
of access to panelboards and live parts of other equipment
likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance
while energized shall be not less than 36 inches (914
mm) in depth. Distances shall be measured from the energized
parts where such parts are exposed or from the enclosure front
or opening where such parts are enclosed. In addition to the 36-
inch dimension (914 mm), the work space shall not be less than
30 inches (762 mm) wide in front of the electrical equipment
and not less than the width of such equipment. The work space
shall be clear and shall extend from the floor or platform to a
height of 6.5 feet (1981 mm) or the height of the equipment,
whichever is greater. In all cases, the work space shall allow at
least a 90-degree (1.57 rad) opening of equipment doors or
hinged panels. Equipment associated with the electrical installation
located above or below the electrical equipment shall be
permitted to extend not more than 6 inches (152 mm) beyond
the front of the electrical equipment. [110.26(A) (1), (2), (3)]

Please check with the "Mr. heater gas forced air heater" manufactures use instructions, I would suspect that that is not the intended use for that heating source?

Is this heating source simular to a torpedo heater or salamander heater hung from a ceiling?

You are not likely "directly above" the panel.....You are likely in front and maybe above the working clearance....

E3405.2 Working clearances for energized equipment and
panelboards. Except as otherwise specified in Chapters 34
through 43, the dimension of the working space in the direction
of access to panelboards and live parts of other equipment
likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance
while energized shall be not less than 36 inches (914
mm) in depth. Distances shall be measured from the energized
parts where such parts are exposed or from the enclosure front
or opening where such parts are enclosed. In addition to the 36-
inch dimension (914 mm), the work space shall not be less than
30 inches (762 mm) wide in front of the electrical equipment
and not less than the width of such equipment. The work space
shall be clear and shall extend from the floor or platform to a
height of 6.5 feet (1981 mm) or the height of the equipment,
whichever is greater. In all cases, the work space shall allow at
least a 90-degree (1.57 rad) opening of equipment doors or
hinged panels. Equipment associated with the electrical installation
located above or below the electrical equipment shall be
permitted to extend not more than 6 inches (152 mm) beyond
the front of the electrical equipment. [110.26(A) (1), (2), (3)]

The heater is mounted higher than the required working clearance in front of the panel. However, there is exhaust piping at the rear of the heater that is directly above the panel about 20 inches up. Does this create a compliance issue?

There is "working space" and there is "dedicated space". You shall not use said spaces for anything not directly related to the panel. You can be above, and out of, the dedicated space with restrictions. So assuming that the top of the panel is 5' above the floor, the dedicated space takes you to 11' above the floor or to a structural ceiling, whichever is lower.

2020_07_wagesfig1.jpg

Last edited:
F260560-MHU80NG.jpg
Can you provide a model number or photo of the heater?
Mr. Heater® Big Maxx 80,000 BTU Dual-Fuel Forced Air Garage Heater - Model Number: F260560

See IRC figure E3405.1 footnote "a", Shaded area is the width of the panel and nothing is allowed 6-ft above the PANEL.

If the panel is 5-inches wide, beyond that your not allowed anything from the floor to a height of 6.5ft, so its possible something could be hung in a garage with high ceilings.

I run in to this when someone has plumbing, heat runs or furnace duct piping above the panel.