• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Close Before You Doze

LGreene

You may have already heard about UL's initiative to teach the public about the benefits of closing their bedroom door while they're sleeping. UL has asked how to spread this message far and wide, and I know some of you will have ideas. If you wouldn't mind posting your thoughts here: http://idighardware.com/2018/01/wwyd-how-can-we-help-ul-spread-their-message/, someone from UL will be able to see them.

@ = >

Do you have any background info as to why U.L. is
efforting this initiative ?.......Perceived fire protection
when occupants are sleeping, other ?

Doors in the Single Family Residences, Hotels, Apartments,
everywhere, or other ?

Closed doors [ "might not" ] facilitate proper air
movement....

< = @

Years ago I may have posted here about a fire job that I went to. The single story house was fairly well incinerated except a bedroom. It was the grandson's room and he shut the door before fleeing. As I recall the room was remarkably intact.

There would have been pictures but if they were Photobucket pictures they are gone.

@ = >

Do you have any background info as to why U.L. is
efforting this initiative ?.......Perceived fire protection
when occupants are sleeping, other ?

Doors in the Single Family Residences, Hotels, Apartments,
everywhere, or other ?

Closed doors [ "might not" ] facilitate proper air
movement....

< = @

These are some of the stats that UL sent to me:

Statistics show that 50% of house fires occur between 11pm and 7am, so UL FSRI- a part of UL’s not for profit- developed the Close Before You Doze campaign in line with UL’s mission of working for a safer world to raise awareness of that fact that proactively closing bedroom doors at night can potentially save lives.

UL FSRI testing data shows why:
o 40 years ago, people had an average of 17 minutes to exit a home during a house fire after a smoke alarm activates. Because of changes in building materials and home design, that time is now only three minutes
o Closed door room: temperatures remain < 100°, survivable levels of oxygen (18%) and carbon monoxide (100 PPM) o Open door room: temperatures exceed 1000°, hazardous levels of oxygen (8%) and carbon monoxide (10,000 PPM)