• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Close the Door: why it could save your life in a fire

Hello Lori, yes we include it in all our teachable moments and have since the 80's. We have even gone so far back as in 1997 by doing a video of fire incidents with (signed owner permissions) showing the difference of rooms that people had doors closed in their house fires. We are so pleased seeing the ink this demonstration in "Compartmentalization" can offer. We even used this practice as part of our testimony during a campaign to create an alternative methodology for the residential fire sprinkler arguments in MN to no avail. This concept has been removed from some state adopted versions of the IRC which should be criminal..........but that's another debate for another topic. Thanks for sharing!

We have even gone so far back as in 1997 by doing a video of fire incidents with (signed owner permissions) showing the difference of rooms that people had doors closed in their house fires.
Thanks FMWB! Is that video posted publicly anywhere I can see it?

I'll look through our archives since it was done by a local video company on VHS tape and we showed it during presentations and through local programming. I'll look for it later in the week since when I saw UL and a TV station airing this information it reminded me to hunt it down. I'll PM you if I can locate it and copy to DVD for you.

Lori, didn't forget but I couldn't find it in our Library and there were some renovations made a year or so ago in the training room where the material library exists. It most likely was accidently discarded since we are missing some other VHS materials........ the good thing is that the stuff being mainstreamed these days by UL and some news agencies id good and demonstrates what we've bee preaching for decades.