• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Closing Off a Gas Fireplace

FunHouse

Hi there - I have a client in San Diego, CA who would like to close off their existing gas fireplace. They don't want to remove the chimney or anything on the exterior, they just want to drywall over the fireplace and cap the gas line to make it go away. Would this be allowed and/or would they have to remove the exterior chimney? I've never encountered anyone who wanted to eliminate a working fireplace before so was not sure! Thanks so much!

Cap off the gas line. Put a cap on the chimney and install the drywall.

Hi there - I have a client in San Diego, CA who would like to close off their existing gas fireplace. They don't want to remove the chimney or anything on the exterior, they just want to drywall over the fireplace and cap the gas line to make it go away. Would this be allowed and/or would they have to remove the exterior chimney? I've never encountered anyone who wanted to eliminate a working fireplace before so was not sure! Thanks so much!
You probably don't have to remove the chimney, but personally I think it would be a lot better if they did. I get that it's an added expense, but if they don't do it now, they'll likely end up paying for it later.

Know one believes in Santa Claus anymore! ....It's a travesty!

Might thing about resale?

They're not concerned about resale, personally I would not remove the fireplace I think it adds value, but horse to water :)

Sounds like from the replies here there's nothing preventing the chimney to remain as long as the gas line is capped?