• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Clothes dryer duct - manufacturer instructions vs. code

We see the foil stuff more for short runs of bath fan duct. Remember, 14' max for these air connectors when used for bath fans etc.

Daddy-0- said:
We see the foil stuff more for short runs of bath fan duct. Remember, 14' max for these air connectors when used for bath fans etc.
Citation please Daddy-O-...

603.6.1 Flexible air ducts.

Flexible air ducts, both metallic and nonmetallic, shall be tested in accordance with UL 181. Such ducts shall be listed and labeled as Class 0 or Class 1 flexible air ducts and shall be installed in accordance with Section 304.1.

603.6.1.1 Duct length.

Flexible air ducts shall not be limited in length.

603.6.2 Flexible air connectors.

Flexible air connectors, both metallic and nonmetallic, shall be tested in accordance with UL 181. Such connectors shall be listed and labeled as Class 0 or Class 1 flexible air connectors and shall be installed in accordance with Section 304.1.

603.6.2.1 Connector length.

Flexible air connectors shall be limited in length to 14 feet (4267 mm).

Is it a duct or a connector? The only way to know for sure is to read the label

mtlogcabin said:
603.6.1 Flexible air ducts.Flexible air ducts, both metallic and nonmetallic, shall be tested in accordance with UL 181. Such ducts shall be listed and labeled as Class 0 or Class 1 flexible air ducts and shall be installed in accordance with Section 304.1.

603.6.1.1 Duct length.

Flexible air ducts shall not be limited in length.

603.6.2 Flexible air connectors.

Flexible air connectors, both metallic and nonmetallic, shall be tested in accordance with UL 181. Such connectors shall be listed and labeled as Class 0 or Class 1 flexible air connectors and shall be installed in accordance with Section 304.1.

603.6.2.1 Connector length.

Flexible air connectors shall be limited in length to 14 feet (4267 mm).

Is it a duct or a connector? The only way to know for sure is to read the label
In response to Daddy-o's post

I do not believe that 603.6.2.1 pertains to a 2158A flexible dryer transition duct in an exhaust application for a bath fan since it is not a class 0 or 1 air duct as listed under UL181 testing

mtlogcabin - Gregg is being polite... Applying the MC Chapter 6 provisions to the dryer vent is a stretch... the scope of Chapter 6 would remove the dryer vent from compliance requirements as they are covered in Chapter 5

601.1 Scope.

Duct systems used for the movement of air in air-conditioning, heating, ventilating and exhaust systems shall conform to the provisions of this chapter except as otherwise specified in Chapters 5 and 7.

SECTION 504 CLOTHES DRYER EXHAUST

504.1 Installation.

Clothes dryers shall be exhausted in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems and shall convey the moisture and any products of combustion to the outside of the building.

Exception: This section shall not apply to listed and labeled condensing (ductless) clothes dryers. !--$$TAG:UPAR,,CHAPTER>D'OH!

JBI

Agree I was just giving the max length code sections that Daddy-O stated for bathroom exhaust. Should have been clearer in my post that it did not apply to dryer ducts.

Glad to see you are posting again. It has been a while. Hope you can get back to being a "regular" contributor again.

mtlogcabin said:
JBIAgree I was just giving the max length code sections that Daddy-O stated for bathroom exhaust. Should have been clearer in my post that it did not apply to dryer ducts.

Glad to see you are posting again. It has been a while. Hope you can get back to being a "regular" contributor again.
I only tagged your post because it already had the articles listed and saved typing.

JBI.... The bath fan "air connector" has a manufacturer's label/sticker that clearly states max allowable use is 14'. Then they sell it in 25' lengths. Haha. There is also a mechanical code section for air connectors that states the same. These connectors are typically used for bath fan vents and short runs of mechanical connections inside conditioned spaces. That is what I typically see.

.....or you can read Mtlogcabin's code sections since I clearly did not. (They say the same thing....14' for air connectors.) sorry.