• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

cmu joint reinforcement

jtom

Sawhorse
Where in the ICC code does it require horizontal ladder or truss reinforcement to be used in masonry walls.Are they required per code or just good practice.I am thinking about a basement wall with 3-5 feet of unbalanced backfill.I know there are requirements for reinforced,grouted cells,but I am curious about the horizontal joint reinforcement.Any code sections would be helpful.

I think they call it "wall bond" or something like that? I would say good practice and not required by code for the most part. Kind of like mesh (WWM) in concrete slabs rarely required by code (if ever) but almost always done. I think the only reinforcement the code recognizes is rebar.

@ = @

jtom,

Lot's of questions to consider in your OP.

In the Commercial & Residential categories, there
is consideration for Shear Walls, Design Category,
Seismic Category, etc.

In the IBC, `15 Edition, refer to Section 2103.4 &
Section 2104.........Section 2104 also references the
TMS 602/ACI 530.1/ASCE 6..........Also, TMS 402.
Here is a link to the TMS 402 document........Start
in Section 6.1

http://www.masonrysociety.org/msjc/2013_forms/msjc_proposed_revisions_through_november_28_2012-public_comment_version.pdf

In the `15 IRC, refer to Section R606.13.2.3:

http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/2015-I-Codes/2015%20IRC%20HTML/Chapter%206.html

@ = @

Last edited:
BTW IMO if it is retaining any kind of fill it should be engineered and he will have to find that info.

In many cases the horizontal reinforcement can either be supplied by joint reinforcement or by rebar in bond beam units.