• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Code administration fundamentals

mark handler

SAWHORSE
National Fire Academy

Online Mediated Instruction Course

CODE ADMINISTRATION FUNDAMENTALS

Course Code: C0248

RECRUITMENT BULLETIN

The U.S. Fire Administration’s National Fire Academy is currently recruiting students to help pilot-test the online instructor mediated course, Code Administration Fundamentals (C0248). The course will be delivered through an online discussion board and self-study.

Course Description: This course examines the underlying principles involved in the building and fire code administrative provisions so students can analyze the legal authorities, responsibilities and permissions needed to enforce the codes in their jurisdictions.

At the end of this course, students will be able to:

Identify the duties and powers of the code official/authority having jurisdiction

Recognize owner/occupant responsibilities to comply with the codes.

Identify the code officials’ legal authorities and liabilities related to inspections.

Analyze the use of permits and documentation in code administration.

Outline steps to accomplish code enforcement and condemnation proceedings.

Course Delivery: An online instructor mediated course balances self-study components with interactions and discussions among the students and the instructor. This course is done in an asynchronous fashion. Students and the instructor will likely be online at different times and will post and respond to discussions on their own schedule. After reviewing the self-study materials, the students will have the opportunity to participate in discussions with other students on various assigned topics. The instructor will open each module, provide feedback on assignments, summarize discussions, and provide mentoring to meet the unique needs of individual students.

Prospective students should have a thorough understanding of the course requirements before submitting their application.

Online courses require self-discipline and commitment. They tend to require more work than classroom-based courses.

Please familiarize yourself with the course requirements and review the Sample Module Lesson Assignment (shown below).

Please Note: This is a college-level, writing intensive course. You will be expected to adhere to the American Psychological Association (APA) Style Guidelines for all written assignments. A tutorial for this format can be found at: APA Style

Instructor: Rob Neale, Deputy Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, National Fire Academy

Important Dates:

Application Period: Applications accepted now until August 1, 2013.

First Day of Class: September 3, 2013

End of Class: November 22, 2013

Please Note: This is a 12-week course.

Student Selection Criteria:

Individuals whose primary duties are those of a full-time fire or building code enforcement inspector.

Individuals who have the responsibility to train personnel involved in code enforcement activities.

Suppression company officers responsible for in-service fire code enforcement activities.

Class Size: 32 students

Course Requirements: The course includes five modules; one module will be released online every two weeks. For each module, participants will be required to:

complete the required textbook and assigned readings

complete the online content, which includes participation in two discussion forums per module, the submission of an individual written paper for each module and a mid-term and final paper. A sample module lesson assignment is included below (all module lesson assignments have similar requirements);

interact with instructor and other student participants.

Costs and Fees:

This course is offered free-of-charge. Students will be required to have access to two textbooks, their legally adopted building and fire codes, and Chapter One of the Fire Protection Handbook, 20th Edition, published by the National Fire Protection Association.

Text Books:

Legal Aspects of Code Administration. International Code Council. ($33.00) ISBN : 978-1-58001-500-4. Available from Legal Aspects of Code Administration, 2002 Edition . (160 pages).

The Art of Code Enforcement: A Practical Guide by Martin Collins ($9.99) ISBN: 978-1-47635-175-9 Available in EBook or other electronic format athttps://www.smashwords.com/books/view/216810 . (118 pages).

How to Apply:

Students must complete the General Admission Application ( FEMA Form 119-25-1) available on the NFA website at: National Fire Academy : About NFA: Attending the Academy: How to Apply

Completed applications should be submitted by August 1, 2013 to:

NETC Admissions Office

16825 S. Seton Avenue

Emmitsburg, MD 2172

I just finished a fire protection related online with NFA and Dr. Neale

It was great. Learned stuff and was reminded of stuff I forgot.

RJJ said:
Interesting not sure I have 12 weeks for this!
the class I finished maybe had two maybe three nights of reading, two short about two paragraph questions to answer, and than one 3-5 page paper to write.

the paragraphs can be done in a night, and I took three nights to write the 3-5 paper.

the nmodules are streched over two weeks, so two weeks to read and write everything.

NFA is just trying different avenues to get information out and to bring training to the masses.

north star said:
~ ~ ~ ~CEU's, ...PDH's, ...any training credits of any kind ?

~ ~ ~ ~
This is kind of a pilot program and they are working the kinks out including training hours

You do get a letter grade and a certificate

Plus you learn stufffffff

I didn't get my app in.........will be interested to hear how it goes, and whether it is worth it.

Maybe they will offer it again.

It sounded like it demands way more of a time commitment than any standard code class, without any additional or tangible benefits. And time is a luxury at this point in my career.

I'm not interested.

To me, it would be like taking a code administration course from a Police Department Association. They don't have the same administrative responsibilities, approach to, and/or attitude towards compliance; and how that compliance is administered. Not a good idea for Building Codes Administration course, in my opinion.

I took the TEEX (at Texas A & M) code enforcement course in 2000, and the information I learned allowed me to pass the ICC Administration part of the Building Official Exam in 2007. Code Enforcement is much more in line with our type of work. A much better idea I think.

http://www.teex.org/teex.cfm?area=EU&templateid=1623

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator: