• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Code Adoption Link

Model codes were written to promote uniformity in regulating building constitution, but nearly 100 years after the 1st UBC, there is uniformity within certain states, but no uniformity between states. For certain states that have no state codes, some local jurisdictions still have no codes. The federal government has taken a mostly hands off approach towards supporting widespread enforcement of modern building codes, but given how much money is spent on disaster relief, some of the feds budget could be used for encouraging newer code adoptions as one preventive measure. This should be a public/private effort, but some entity needs to lead this effort and have the resources to persevere.

This article highlights the problems, but doesn't offer any clear solutions.

Model codes were written to promote uniformity in regulating building constitution, but nearly 100 years after the 1st UBC, there is uniformity within certain states, but no uniformity between states. For certain states that have no state codes, some local jurisdictions still have no codes. The federal government has taken a mostly hands off approach towards supporting widespread enforcement of modern building codes, but given how much money is spent on disaster relief, some of the feds budget could be used for encouraging newer code adoptions as one preventive measure. This should be a public/private effort, but some entity needs to lead this effort and have the resources to persevere.

The federal government is responsible for the ICC and the current ICC family of model codes.

For those not old enough to remember, there used to be three model building code organizations in the United States: BOCA (Building Officials and Code Administrators International), ICBO (International Conference of Building Officials), and SBCCI (Southern Building Code Congress International). BOCA published the BOCA National Building Code, which was adopted mostly by jurisdictions in the northeast and upper midwest, ICBO published the Uniform Building Code (UBC), which was adopted mostly by jurisdictions west of the Mississippi, and the SBCCI published the Southern Standard Building Code, which was adopted mostly by jurisdictions in the southeastern United States. They, along with the NFPA, all participated in the Board for Coordination of the Model Codes (BCMC), which had the purported goal of making the codes less radically different from one another, but that didn't work very well.

As an architect, I maintained membership in all three. In fact, my ICC professional membership number is my old BOCA Professional Member number. I recently called the ICC membership office to ask about something and the woman who took the call couldn't find me in the record because (she said) my number didn't have enough digits in it. Eventually, we discovered that they had "fixed" it by putting a zero in front of it, to make it fit the database template. But my membership card doesn't have a leading zero.

Fun fact: At one time, there were parts of Texas using each of the three model codes. I would NOT have wanted to be an architect in Texas at that time.

The federal government had a policy, for both the military (DoD) and the GSA, of designing buildings to the building code in effect in the jurisdiction where the building would be located, even though the local officials had no jurisdiction and, if they really wanted to, the Feds could just say "Screw it, we ain't doin' that." There finally came a day when the Feds decided that it was a growing nuisance to have to redesign various cookie-cutter type buildings for use in different parts of the country, so the powers that be in Washington went to the three model building code organizations and gave them an ultimatum: Either come up with ONE model building code for the entire country, or we'll write one (and put you all out of business).

Thus, the ICC was created, out of a merger of BOCA, ICBO, and SBCCI. If the IBC and IRC seem to be sort of a kludge, that's because they ARE kludges. The first editions of the ICC codes were developed by dividing the codes up into three chunks and handing those chunks to people from each of the three organizations with the mandate to meld the requirements of all three model codes pertaining to the topic of each chapter into a single chapter. Then an oversight committee made up of members from all three groups sat down and did their best to coordinate the chapters into a somewhat coherent model code document.

The first edition was the 2000 ICC model codes, which (mercifully) my state didn't adopt. We stayed with BOCA until adopting the 2003 ICC model codes, by which time the worst of the problems in the 2000 ICC codes had been identified and somewhat corrected.

Thus endeth the history lesson for today. :cool:

Quite a bit of the BCMC work formed the basis for the 2000 IBC. Means of egress being one. I think a lot of accessibility requirements in the IBC were also based on BCMC work. Section 4.10 was, my main reason for participating in BCMC.

The federal government is responsible for the ICC and the current ICC family of model codes.

For those not old enough to remember, there used to be three model building code organizations in the United States: BOCA (Building Officials and Code Administrators International), ICBO (International Conference of Building Officials), and SBCCI (Southern Building Code Congress International). BOCA published the BOCA National Building Code, which was adopted mostly by jurisdictions in the northeast and upper midwest, ICBO published the Uniform Building Code (UBC), which was adopted mostly by jurisdictions west of the Mississippi, and the SBCCI published the Southern Standard Building Code, which was adopted mostly by jurisdictions in the southeastern United States. They, along with the NFPA, all participated in the Board for Coordination of the Model Codes (BCMC), which had the purported goal of making the codes less radically different from one another, but that didn't work very well.

As an architect, I maintained membership in all three. In fact, my ICC professional membership number is my old BOCA Professional Member number. I recently called the ICC membership office to ask about something and the woman who took the call couldn't find me in the record because (she said) my number didn't have enough digits in it. Eventually, we discovered that they had "fixed" it by putting a zero in front of it, to make it fit the database template. But my membership card doesn't have a leading zero.

Fun fact: At one time, there were parts of Texas using each of the three model codes. I would NOT have wanted to be an architect in Texas at that time.

The federal government had a policy, for both the military (DoD) and the GSA, of designing buildings to the building code in effect in the jurisdiction where the building would be located, even though the local officials had no jurisdiction and, if they really wanted to, the Feds could just say "Screw it, we ain't doin' that." There finally came a day when the Feds decided that it was a growing nuisance to have to redesign various cookie-cutter type buildings for use in different parts of the country, so the powers that be in Washington went to the three model building code organizations and gave them an ultimatum: Either come up with ONE model building code for the entire country, or we'll write one (and put you all out of business).

Thus, the ICC was created, out of a merger of BOCA, ICBO, and SBCCI. If the IBC and IRC seem to be sort of a kludge, that's because they ARE kludges. The first editions of the ICC codes were developed by dividing the codes up into three chunks and handing those chunks to people from each of the three organizations with the mandate to meld the requirements of all three model codes pertaining to the topic of each chapter into a single chapter. Then an oversight committee made up of members from all three groups sat down and did their best to coordinate the chapters into a somewhat coherent model code document.

The first edition was the 2000 ICC model codes, which (mercifully) my state didn't adopt. We stayed with BOCA until adopting the 2003 ICC model codes, by which time the worst of the problems in the 2000 ICC codes had been identified and somewhat corrected.

The federal government is responsible fo model codes.