• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Code compliant...but not a detector in sight.

Darren Emery

As far as I can determine - this meets code, but I think there's a practical lack of coverage. To the right is the master bedroom, one detector in the short hall there. Out of frame to the left, there are two more bedrooms, detector here also, in a small lower ceiling hall area. The entire kit/living/dining area, with vault, has no detector. The UBC had language requiring another unit if the higher ceiling was more than 24" above the lower. I wish the IRC had similar language.

View attachment 1573

View attachment 1573

/monthly_2011_08/572953e2f33bb_DetectorCoverage.jpg.3b87a0b7f056c3b9ba868cd840f5eea8.jpg

I agree, compliant install. I am assuming line voltage detectors? Low voltage would throw you to 72 which may or may not be more helpful.

You at least need one somewhwere near the kitchen to know when dinner is ready;

we switched to a heat detector in my kitchen cause the wife couldn't figure out how to get

the smoke detector to set for 30 45 or 50 min

Architect1281 said:
You at least need one somewhwere near the kitchen to know when dinner is ready;we switched to a heat detector in my kitchen cause the wife couldn't figure out how to get

the smoke detector to set for 30 45 or 50 min
LOL, good stuff there, thanks.

Reminds me of a service call a couple of years ago. Gentleman calls me and said the smokes didn't alarm when the oven was on fire. I asked him what happened and was told the wife was warming up leftover pizza in the oven, in the box. :eek: