• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Code modifications

Examiner

How many of you who have adopted the ICC Codes but have retained a section from the older codes as well in your Ordinances? Older Codes meaning not any of the older ICC; ex: BOCA, UBC, SBC

We retained the garage house separation requirements and under stair protection of the 97 UBC.

Followed the 97 UBC until recently and the numbers dropped to the following

(12) Delete Subsection 903.2.8 and replace with the following:

"1. An approved automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3 shall be provided in all Group R buildings meeting any of the following criteria:

"a. 16 or more transient guests or 8 or more transient guestrooms;

"b. 16 or more occupants in other than dwelling units;

"c. 8 or more dwelling units; or

"d. more than 2 stories.

"2. In lieu of the above required automatic sprinkler system in buildings not more than three stories above the lowest level of exit discharge, each transient guestroom may be provided with at least one door leading directly to an exterior exit access that leads directly to approved exits.

"3. "Transient guest" for the purpose of this subsection shall mean an occupant who is primarily transient in nature, staying at one location for 30 days or less."

We put the 400' from FD access back into the standpipe requirements from 1999 BOCA.

We are on a statewide adoption of the ICODES, currently under 2009. I have, for our jurisdiction, by policy, incorporated the 1997 UMC Clearance reduction tables for "Unlisted Appliances".

The reason for that, is the current codes specify that "all appliances shall be listed and labeled."

State of Washington has an amendment allowing historic or antique cookstoves (mfg. prior to 1940) to be installed, however no provisions are given for clearances and from that era, they are unlisted.

The 1997 UMC seemed to solve this.

I know of a town that is using the 2006 IBC but elected to keep a section of another code that now conflicts with sprinkler credits and when a rated corridor, occupancy separation, tenant separation, rated walls are required to have fire ratings. Now you have new buildings being require to have sprinklers and the owner gets no credit allowed under the newer code that deletes ratings in some parts of the building. AHJ is making buildings cost more and did not even consider conflicting Code issues. I would think that you Building Officials, Fire Marshall and others who aid in developiing the Codes have a little more understanding than the individual who does not particiapte or understand the reasons why some of the changes occur.

Last edited by a moderator:
AHJ is making buildings cost more and did not even consider conflicting Code issues.
Agree

The state adopted Chapters 1 thru 11 of The IRC and The UPC except the gas potion. Makes it difficult on the local AHJ. If I apply the letter of the IMC all SFR with a stove top would be a medium duty appliance and would require a Type I hood.:eek:ops

georgia plans exam said:
Georgia has adopted the IRC except for the electrical and plumbing provisions which are regulated by the IPC and NEC.GPE
So do you require SFR to comply with 504.1, 504.2 and 504.3?

I wish the powers that be would just adopt a complete code family.

mtlogcabin,

I'm not sure. I only plan check commercial jobs and we don't require residential plans. I will ask the Plumbing Inspection Supervisor on Monday. Have a good weekend!

GPE

Louisiana Uniform Construction Code keeps the Table 503 from the 2006 IBC but adopts the 2009 IBC otherwise with a very few other modifications.

Also allows corridor to be part of air circulation IF the corridor does not require fire resistant separation like in a single tenant space with less than 30 occupants (Table 1018.1 guides rating of corridors)

These types of modifications to adopted codes make sense in my opinion. Trying to keep the OLD and COMFORTABLE parts of previous codes is a confusion which is why the International codes were contemplated in the first place so that a single set of documents could be used throughout the country. The old SBC, UBC, xBC etcBC only served to provide confusion. But then, in confusion there is power.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!