• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Code Picture 31 Aug 2018 - Would you pass this?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Let's forget about zones and required insulation values,

Who out there would fail this insulation installation and why? It does not matter that they are not quite finished yet.

IMG_1052.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can detect from my tiny Android screen the insulaion paper facing is not in substantial contact with the back side of an approved finished surface.
Unfortunately I see this often which means neighboring localities are ignoring or are ignorant of the requirement.

From what I can detect from my tiny Android screen the insulaion paper facing is not in substantial contact with the back side of an approved finished surface.
Unfortunately I see this often which means neighboring localities are ignoring or are ignorant of the requirement.

because of FSI/SDI?

When batt insulation is installed above suspended ceilings, the installations should conform to the fire-safety requirements of the prevailing building code. In many commercial jobs, however, code officials approve insulation applications that do not conform to the prevailing building code.

The Insulation Contractors Association of America’s Technical Bulletin 27: Applying Batt Insulation Above Suspended Ceilings to Meet Code addresses and recommends practices known to conform to the requirements of the International Building Code and to all three model building codes.

All requirements for exposed applications of insulation for the model building codes are similar and agree to the following conditions:
  • Insulation, including facing, shall have a Flame Spread Index = 25 or less and a Smoke Developed Index = 450 or less when tested per ASTM E-84 or UL 723. Standard foil-faced and kraft-faced batts do not conform to the requirements of any model code for exposed applications; their facings have Flame Spread Indices greater than 25.

• The only acceptable application of standard foil-faced and kraft-faced batts is when the product shall be behind, and in substantial contact with, an approved ceiling construction material as required by the building codes. Substantial contact means that most of the facing surface of the insulation touches the approved ceiling construction material. Neither inset nor face stapling excludes the substantial contact requirement. If substantial contact is not maintained and an open plenum results between the installed batt insulation and an approved non-combustible ceiling construction material, then an exposed application results. In this case the proper vapor retarder facing material shall have a flame spread index of 25 or less; i.e., FSK (Foil Scrim Kraft) and/or FSP (Foil Scrim Poly).

• A flame spread rated facing installed over kraft, standard foil or other non-rated facing does not meet code.
Kraft facing is unacceptable in any part of the building in Types I and II construction. ICBO requirement for Types III, IV and V construction is consistent with this interpretation. SBCCI and ICBO both provide for concealed application allowing a flame spread of up to 75, but the conditions of a "concealed" space are not defined. Most manufacturers print a fire-warning label on both kraft and standard foil requiring substantial contact for proper application, making the interpretation above correct when a space results.

Right on the paper-faced insulation:

"vapor retarder is flammable and should not be left exposed"

Looks like a plenum to me on top of all that...........
The smoke and flame index is not rated for that use.

Not sure I understand. I am looking at something more specific about this installation.

• The only acceptable application of standard foil-faced and kraft-faced batts is when the product shall be behind, and in substantial contact with, an approved ceiling construction material as required by the building codes. Substantial contact means that most of the facing surface of the insulation touches the approved ceiling construction material.

I see this a lot for tenant fit-outs. But I can't say anything because they usually the insulation is existing and they are only replacing the suspended ceiling. Also the romex is existing.