• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Code-Year Implementation

Does anyone know when Cities and Counties choose to switch over to the "new" or latest codes (IBC) etc.?

Everything I am doing in my office for permit applications is designated to comply to 2018 IBC (we're in Alabama) for example, and it's already 2022! I am like, "How long does it take to switch over to the new Code? And... Do Building departments or the like ever decide to jump over years or something like that."

Does anyone know?
Thank you for clarification.

architect-in-training

Depend on the process for the jurisdiction. In Massachusetts it has taken so long the the original goal of adopting the 2018 ICC family moved to the 2021 ICC and we still have not announced the effective date, with the 2024 ICC published

Virginia usually takes about 3 years to adopt new codes and state amendments. It used to take half that long until the state adopted new administrative procedures requirements which really stretched the time out.