• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Codes online

Robert Ellenberg

I can't find the thread but I remember a prior discussion about codes having to be available to the public because they are law. If I remember correctly the thread said the ICC can charge for them but if municipalities adopt them as law, they must be available. Hence, the link to the public domain website of online codes which covers most states as well as the ICC online code site.

My question regards referenced codes that are made a part of the code. Chapter 3 section R301.2.1.1 Design Criteria, of the IRC incorporporates several design standards for wind zones over 100 MPH but I can't find any of them on line anywhere.

Does anyone know if in fact they are supposed to be available (on line as opposed to in someone's office) and if so, a link to them?

2009 IRC

R301.2.1.1 Design criteria. In regions where the basic wind speeds from Figure R301.2(4) equal or exceed 100 miles per hour (45 m/s) in hurricane-prone regions, or 110 miles per hour (49 m/s) elsewhere, the design of buildings shall be in accordance with one of the following methods. The elements of design not addressed by those documents in Items 1 through 4 shall be in accordance with this code.

1. American Forest and Paper Association (AF&PA) Wood Frame Construction Manual for One- and Two-Family Dwellings (WFCM); or

2. International Code Council (ICC) Standard for Residential Construction in High Wind Regions (ICC-600); or

3. Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures (ASCE-7); or

4. American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI), Standard for Cold-Formed Steel Framing-Prescriptive Method For One- and Two-Family Dwellings (AISI S230).

5. Concrete construction shall be designed in accordance with the provisions of this code.

6. Structural insulated panel (SIP) walls shall be designed in accordance with the provisions of this code.

http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/irc/2009/icod_irc_2009_3_sec001_par006.htm

thanks. I had the main lists but didn't have the NFPA site. However, I combed through them again and still can't find the referenced standards from IRC chapter 3 and even checked some of the appendixes.

While the codes may be available through what ever. Keep in mind the code is NOT law until it is adopted by any given jurisdiction.

Not code, but apawood.org has some good high wind guides on their site as well.