• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

cold spots around openings

Mac Moonfire

SAWHORSE
Hi,
reviewing infrared thermal testing, it was noticed that the +/-1/4" gap around openings is a cold spot in the wall assemblies. All windows and doors were sealed to frame by rod&caulk on the interior face of the assembly. The walls are ICF with outsulation. The windows and doors have been shipped from quebec and aren't cheap.

The question is; would it be beneficial (or not) to fill the inner cavity with sprayfoam all-around doors and windows?
Thank you

Spray foam in the gap at the windows may void your warrantee with the window manufacturer. They like to allow for some movement in the framing. I would check with them first.

If the gap is sealed, it may still present as a cold spot during thermal testing via infrared imaging due to a higher U-value then the surrounding materials/assembly.

Flexible sealant is required between the frame and window by the codes, how much has been described to me at least the value of the window,

Window installation in Canada must meet the CSA A440.4 installation standard. This is required by building codes and typically the window manufacturer in order to maintain a warranty on the window. A standard detail is place a backer rod, then low expansion foam into the annular space between the window and the ICF. The backer rod maintains the rainscreen principle by ensuring a capillary break is formed which allows the window cavity to drain should any water enter this area.

Can your thermographer look at the image on his computer and give you the surface temperature of the area your interested in and compare to something nearby ?

Most thermal imaging cameras save additional data actually in the image so a simple mouse over in the software provided by the camera manufacturer can give that answer..

Thermal imaging can show things sometimes that don't amount to much, depending on the field of view and whats in it.
The image above shows the coldest is -26.7 (probably the sky) and the warmest thing is 15.4 degrees (not sure if this is C or F)
So, there is a 42 degree temperature difference which couldn't show with enough detail what your looking at.
May be there is a close up ?

Again, sometimes zooming in or getting a closer pic with careful focusing is worth its weight in gold...

Also, you must expect a little higher temp in any areas insulated less than its surrounding.
My Flir I believe can discern a temperature difference of 1/10th a degree.

I can see through the 2 coats of paint, 3 coats of Spackle and pick out drywall screws in a stud in optimal conditions.

Forgot to add, the material used to trim the windows, what its painted with could have a different emisivity and look different as well!
Get some old fashioned masking tape, apply to both surfaces and image the tape to have all equaled out...
While im at it, these images should be taken well after the sun went down, 2-3 hours at a minimum and during dry conditions..
Water plays havoc, and truth be told I have used my camera 5 times as much for finding leaks than any thing else...

I thought I read that some manufactures allow the non-expandable foam between the framing and the windows. IMO I would rather chink the windows between the frame with fiberglass insulation but that may not fly in the northern back forty?

I thought I read that some manufactures allow the non-expandable foam between the framing and the windows. IMO I would rather chink the windows between the frame with fiberglass insulation but that may not fly in the northern back forty?
Nope. Foam is required for air sealing.