• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

colors for indoor ductwork?

HVACQuestions

I have a client asking how to paint indoor ductwork.

I feel like internally insulated ductwork could be painted easily enough, but would this change the fire / smoke rating of the duct, would this cause any code issues?

I don't see why painting the ductwork would cause any change as far as smoke/fire ratings go as long of a appropriate type of paint is used.

I have a client asking how to paint indoor ductwork.

I feel like internally insulated ductwork could be painted easily enough, but would this change the fire / smoke rating of the duct, would this cause any code issues?
What's the outside material? Painting galvanized for example is itself an art.
The fire rating.... not your problem. The material itself is fire rated.

The fire rating.... not your problem. The material itself is fire rated.
The material that a fire sprinkler head is made of is fire rated. But you paint the head … then it really is your problem.

Won't change the rating it any more than painting a firewall would. As far as I know most paints are non flammable when dry or they couldn't be used on walls...
Like iOne said, the biggest problem you will have is getting the paint to stick to the galvanized metal long term, especially if its newer duct.

the biggest problem you will have is getting the paint to stick to the galvanized metal long term, especially if its newer duct.
I used to prime aluminum with zinc chromate. That might work with galvanized duct. It’s nasty stuff.

Galvanized metal often has a thin oil film which needs to be thoroughly removed before priming. I expect that any primer that actually does a good job has been banned by the EPA.