• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Combination NFPA 13 and NFPA 13R sprinkler system

khsmith55

Bronze Member
2006 IBC, 2002 NFPA 13 and 13R. Given a two story building with a basement of Type V-B construction, sprinklered with non-separate mixed uses. Basement is a parking garage with two stories of apartments above. NO sprinkler increase for area taken nor permitted. Need a memory refresher. Can not find where a 13R system is permitted at the residential units and a 13 system is permitted at the garage. If my memory serves me correctly it was somewhere in NFPA 13, but can’t find the section. Thanks in advance.

Don't have a copy of NFPA 13R-2002, but Section 7.3.1 of the 2013 edition indicates that garages, if separated by a horizontal assembly that creates separate buildings (i.e. 2006 IBC Section 509.2), are to be sprinklered per NFPA 13. If the separation does not exist, then compliance with Section 7.2 of NFPA 13R is required, which requires compliance with NFPA 13, but not all of its requirements.

Check NFPA 13R-2002 to see if similar requirements exist.

Since you have non-separated mixed use, whether or not the garage design is required to be per NFPA 13 or NFPA 13R depends on whether the garage is accessible by people from more than one dwelling unit.

From the '02 edition of NFPA 13R:

6.7.3.2 Garages that are accessible by people from more than one dwelling unit, and are not covered by 6.7.3.1, shall be considered part of the building and shall be protected in accordance with 6.7.2. (6.7.2 requires design per NFPA 13) Garage doors shall not be considered obstructions and shall be permitted to be ignored for placement and calculation of sprinklers.

6.7.3.3* Garages that are only accessible from a single dwelling unit shall be considered as part of that dwelling unit. Such garages shall be sprinklered with residential sprinklers in accordance with 6.7.1 or quick-response sprinklers designed to provide a density of 0.05 gpm/ft2 (2.04 mm/min) over the area of the garage, but not to exceed four sprinklers. Garage doors shall not be considered obstructions and shall be permitted to be ignored for placement and calculation of sprinklers.

So if you have garages that are dedicated each to a different unit, you can use NFPA 13R, but if you have a garage that is accessible by more than one dwelling unit, the design discharge has to be in accordance with NFPA 13.

(My question is, how does the fire know how many units have access to the garage??) ;-)

IJHumberson said:
My question is, how does the fire know how many units have access to the garage??
Individually accessed garages that are considered part of the dwelling unit would be required to be separated by fire partitions, thus compartmentalizing the garage area. Whereas, garages that are accessible by residents of more than one dwelling unit do not have that compartmentation.