• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Combining Chapter 11 and the ANSI A117.1

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Florida left Chapter 11 blank and combined it with the ANSI A117.1 to create the Florida Building Code, Accessibility. This way everything is in one book.

What are your thoughts on this? Should the ICC do the same?

I worked for a state that had one code years ago. The building code deleted ch. 11 entirely and referenced the state accessibility code, which covered scope and technical provisions. Personally, I loved it. Just like the state building codes, it was less problematic to get specific answers without the answerer worrying about what the other 49 states would think. However, I think they have done away with that accessibility code, and reintroduced ch. 11 with reference to the 117.1 standard, so maybe it wasn't working. I need to research that a little more, as the state accessibility code was a great code IMHO.

Should the sprinkler standard be incorporated? What about fire doors and windows? Based on the size of A117.1 and the number of interested parties, and the lengthy development cycle, I think it's better off as its own standard.

The problem is the current ANSI standard is not compliant with DOJ interpretations of ADA, FHA, etc. For instance ANSI allows 16-18" for toilet offset from wall but it has to be exactly 18" for FHA (ANSI Type B Units) with the allowable tolerances. There are many items like that. Typically states use Chapter 11 to fix those items. Seems like Florida is putting people at risk for lawsuits. Safe Harbor is only recognized with the older versions of ANSI.

What would be really great is coming together with only set of standards. UFAS, ADA, ANSI etc. should all be one book. It's problematic having to overlap the most stringent when sometimes there are times when neither is better or more stringent. They are just different.

The problem is the current ANSI standard is not compliant with DOJ interpretations of ADA, FHA, etc. For instance ANSI allows 16-18" for toilet offset from wall but it has to be exactly 18" for FHA (ANSI Type B Units) with the allowable tolerances. There are many items like that. Typically states use Chapter 11 to fix those items. Seems like Florida is putting people at risk for lawsuits. Safe Harbor is only recognized with the older versions of ANSI.

What would be really great is coming together with only set of standards. UFAS, ADA, ANSI etc. should all be one book. It's problematic having to overlap the most stringent when sometimes there are times when neither is better or more stringent. They are just different.
As a member of the ANSI A117.1 committee, I assure you a great deal of effort is spent to harmonize ANSI with ADA. Unfortunately, the federal regulatory process is just too slow and cumbersome, and doesn't allow for real and meaningful public participation in the process, and is short on practical experience. The exactly 18" is an example of the lack of real world experience. It would be great if the Feds would turn over the building regulation to the building professionals. That's what should happen.

UFAS, ADA, & ANSI were the same back in 2010. ANSI has added or enhanced some requirements since then. The FHA standards are based on ANSI standards from the 1980s.

ADA is a minimum "guide", not a code. The intent was for "each" state to amend their codes to use it as a minimum with local amendments.
there in continues to be the issue of DOJ lacking manpower/ budget to review and accept each states code.

ADA is a minimum "guide", not a code. The intent was for "each" state to amend their codes to use it as a minimum with local amendments.
there in continues to be the issue of DOJ lacking manpower/ budget to review and accept each states code.
Guide or code, isn't it a law under which a violator can be prosecuted?

Has any other code been deemed as meeting the ADA guide minimums?

Wouldn't it make sense (not a federal strength) for the major model code - IBC - that so many jurisdictions use to be that?