• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Comcheck and R-values for Exterior Walls

Meadowbend99

Did comcheck recently change the structure for inputting exterior wall r-values? I typically put in size of area, but it did not come up. I'm using 2015 IECC and we're in 2a. I should be okay to use R-13 insulation for an alteration to an existing structure with exposed walls for an office space. It will not pass with R-13, only R-20.

It’s probably looking for continuous insulation (R-3.8 minimum) on the exterior side of the wall.

You have to keep in mind there are three methods for compliance with the IECC:
  1. The R-value method per C402.1.3;
  2. The U-factor, C-factor, and F-factor method per C402.1.4; and,
  3. Component performance alternative per C402.1.5.
If the insulating products in your wall assembly provide the minimum required R-values per Table C402.1.3 for the type of assembly listed (R-value method) then there is no need to use ComCheck—just show your wall assembly and the specified minimum R-value required. For wood-framed walls, you need either R-13 in the stud cavities plus R-3.8 continuous insulation on the outside, or R-20 within the stud cavities.

ComCheck (I admit I’ve never really used it on a project) is most beneficial when determining compliance using the component performance alternative, which determines the balance between varying performance levels of all building envelope assemblies; thus, by using high-performing assemblies (those that exceed minimum prescriptive performance) you can offset the use of lower-performing assemblies that do not meet the minimum prescriptive requirements.