• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Coming Soon The Building Code Forum EStore

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I am very excited about this announcement!

In order to generate some revenue and provide more services to our wonderful members, we will be starting an E-Store selling books such as the Code-Check series and others depending on your wants, needs and desires. All books will be related to the construction field. This process will unfold within the next few weeks. Books will be competitively priced and our Sawhorse members will enjoy a discount. This is all preliminary. I have struck a deal with The Taunton Press publishing company and the IT company is already working on the store for the forum.

I am looking for feedback concerning the types of books that you would like us to carry. I want to see how this goes so we will take this one day at a time. I am personally investing money into this to get it up and running and buying stock so I have a vested interest in this working out. The margins on books is not that great for us but it is a start.

Here is an interactive PDF list of books that are available to us. The prices are suggested retail prices and I plan on being lower, pending what I see on Amazon.

Feedback is appreciated.

jar546 said:
Here is an interactive PDF list of books that are available to us. The prices are suggested retail prices and I plan on being lower, pending what I see on Amazon.

Feedback is appreciated.
Feedback is Interactive list .....not?

mark handler said:
Feedback is Interactive list .....not?
Nope...not on my computer

That was weird, the pdf was linked when I hit Post Quick Reply
My day started out weird and stayed that way

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, bad stuff happens like Amazon sellers selling new for less than what we can buy the book for directly from the publisher. What a waste. Waiting to hear back from Taunton on this.

There's a lot of books there for sure. The code check books have grown up since I bought them many years ago. There is one that covers everything and is 240 pages for $45.00 Most of the prices seem reasonable, especially if you figure what people are willing to spend on a construction project.

Picking books for an inventory sounds scary to me. Perhaps Taunton can give you some direction. I suppose books about things that lots of people take on like painting, fences, tile etc. I saw books on things like stairs and ada which probably won't have a big market. Books on design for kitchens and bathrooms could be a hot seller.

If you had a cool forum logo, you could sell hats and t-shirts.

I've seen a couple slick truck window stickers too.

You could sell a teddy-bear named brudgers.

How about a bobble head of Uncle Bob.

Instead of answering people's questions we can tell them to buy the book.

But don't pay any attention to me because I don't buy books...I don't read them either.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
There's a lot of books there for sure. The code check books have grown up since I bought them many years ago. There is one that covers everything and is 240 pages for $45.00 Most of the prices seem reasonable, especially if you figure what people are willing to spend on a construction project. Picking books for an inventory sounds scary to me. Perhaps Taunton can give you some direction. I suppose books about things that lots of people take on like painting, fences, tile etc. I saw books on things like stairs and ada which probably won't have a big market. Books on design for kitchens and bathrooms could be a hot seller.

If you had a cool forum logo, you could sell hats and t-shirts.

I've seen a couple slick truck window stickers too.

You could sell a teddy-bear named brudgers.

How about a bobble head of Uncle Bob.

Instead of answering people's questions we can tell them to buy the book.

But don't pay any attention to me because I don't buy books...I don't read then either.
Working with Disney on a build a bear called Brudgers

Trying to seal the deal with Tyco for a bobble head of Uncle Bob. I just need a model release from him

;)

cda said:
Any way to sell the Rhode Island club fire book???
There are other books about fires like the Triangle Shirtwaist fire and the WTC...the problem is going to be the Amazon price. Doesn't Amazon have a program where you can get paid for linking to certain books on their site?

I'll have to finish up my fire door book. It will be a hot seller.

"It will be a hot seller."

That's a good one........warmed me right up............

Amazon will be a problem.......but if you can retain the captive audience here.......maybe DIY'er books for that crowd?

I would like to see a comprehensive manual on OSHA regs for construction. Their website is designed for the ease of reporting offences, but offers no direction on compliance, other than hand pamphlets. I even got a nervous laugh from an employee in Oakland when I asked where on the website is compliance statutes, or any other material to help a poor contractor out.

So yea, an OSHA book.

Brent

MASSDRIVER said:
I would like to see a comprehensive manual on OSHA regs for construction. Their website is designed for the ease of reporting offences, but offers no direction on compliance, other than hand pamphlets. I even got a nervous laugh from an employee in Oakland when I asked where on the website is compliance statutes, or any other material to help a poor contractor out.So yea, an OSHA book.

Brent
Federal or state?

Fed

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owastand.display_standard_group?p_part_number=1926&p_toc_level=1

CA

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/dosh_publications/ConstGuideOnline.pdf

Thank you Mark. I found those. I may be wrong, but as I understand it there is a comprehensive bound set. That's what I'm looking for if available.

Brent.

I don't know if any of the tech book publishers might be interested in working with you. Over the years I've bought a shelf full of books from Wiley, McGraw-Hill, etc. You do have a concentrated target audience.

I think Amazon will pay you if someone clicks through a link on your site to buy a book.

Self publish forms, a book of inspection tips or handy refs...? Is there a need out there for anything along those lines, specialty publishing/ printing?

I'm kind of thinking red stickies "What part of NO don't you understand?" "I was here where were you?"

Hmm I can see a line of contractor bumperstickers to put on inspectors trucks... I might keep that one and market it myself :D

DRP said:
I don't know if any of the tech book publishers might be interested in working with you. Over the years I've bought a shelf full of books from Wiley, McGraw-Hill, etc. You do have a concentrated target audience.I think Amazon will pay you if someone clicks through a link on your site to buy a book.

Self publish forms, a book of inspection tips or handy refs...? Is there a need out there for anything along those lines, specialty publishing/ printing?

I'm kind of thinking red stickies "What part of NO don't you understand?" "I was here where were you?"

Hmm I can see a line of contractor bumperstickers to put on inspectors trucks... I might keep that one and market it myself :D
Thank you for your input. I will check into things. I renegotiated a better price with Taunton but there was a tradeoff for shipping.

Of the books on the PDF that I posted, what books are you folks interested in?