• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Ansul Hood headroom reduction - ADA / CBC 11B-403.5

Yikes

SAWHORSE
I have commercial kitchen alteration where a big Ansul hood is being added over a new cook line. It is low against the back wall then slopes upward towards where the cooks stand
The hood is 48" deep , and the cooking equipment is 24-36" deep, so the hood extends into the circulation path, and its height at that furthest (48") point is 78" above finish floor. The kitchen equipment consultant says the hood can't be pushed any higher without diminishing its ability to capture exhaust from the equipment below. In other words, they say the low headroom at the hood equipment is essential to the work being performed.
The circulation path outside of this range hood, where the ceiling is full height (8') is only 31" wide.

I'm concerned about headroom vs. code. Perhaps the sloping underside of the hood can be considered a type of "sloping ceiling" per CBC 1208.2 exc. #2.
But that still leaves me with an accessible circulation path to employee workstations:

11B-203.9 Employee Workstations​

Diagram​
Employee workstations shall be on an accessible route complying with Division 4. Spaces and elements within employee workstations shall only be required to comply with Sections 11B-207.1, 11B-215.3, 11B-302, 11B-303, 11B-308.1.1, 11B-308.1.2 and 11B-404.2.3 unless exempted by other parts of this code. Common use circulation paths within employee workstations shall comply with Section 11B-206.2.8.​

So it sounds like I have a headroom problem, except that 11B-403.5 has this exception:

11B-403.5 Clearances​

Walking surfaces shall provide clearances complying with Section 11B-403.5.​
Exception: Within employee work areas, clearances on common use circulation paths shall be permitted to be decreased by work area equipment provided that the decrease is essential to the function of the work being performed.​

I'm looking for your concurrence that this exception allows me to either (a) lower the headroom, or (b) reduce the circulation path minimum width that has 80"+ headroom, or both.

If it is a listed type I hood, the nameplate should list the maximum height allowed above the cooking surface. If you go beyond that you are not following the instructions of a listed piece of equipment. If not done correctly, a commercial kitchen hood/cooking line can be one of the bigger fire hazards in a commercial building.

We have typically allowed hoods to be at 78" above finished floor for this very reason. 78" almost always makes it, 80" might, but might not.