• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

commercial bathroom locks?

jayweaver

I work maintenance for a company and they want us to put locks on two of our restrooms.these two restrooms are not single stalls,but also have a shower. Is there any code that would not allow this? I live in florida if that makes any difference. Only management or security would have a key if some one was hurt or locked in the restrooms.

jayweaver said:
I work maintenance for a company and they want us to put locks on two of our restrooms.these two restrooms are not single stalls,but also have a shower. Is there any code that would not allow this? I live in florida if that makes any difference. Only management or security would have a key if some one was hurt or locked in the restrooms.
Welcome

There are codes that require Public/customer accessible restrooms.

They can be lockable

There are code sections that may require them to be separate sex.

there should be signage telling customers where the key can be obtained

one is a womens and one mens, there are other restroom available but there is no key for these locks, just want to make sure before we ruin these doos. Thanks

If they are accessible you need to worry about this:

404.2.6 Door Hardware. Handles, pulls, latches, locks, and other operable parts on accessible doors shall have a shape that is easy to grasp with one hand and does not require tight grasping, pinching, or twisting of the wrist to operate. Operable parts of such hardware shall be 34 inches (865 mm) minimum and 48 inches (1220 mm) maximum above the floor. Where sliding doors are in the fully open position, operating hardware shall be exposed and usable from both sides.

EXCEPTION: Locks used only for security purposes and not used for normal operation shall not be required to comply with Section 404.2.6.

Best thing to do is call the building official for the town the building is located .

They are as close to ultimate authority