• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Electrical Inspector - E2

patrickjames

If anyone has taken this exam lately and/or has any advise or any study guides for this exam , I would be very grateful. Happy Friday! Also how similar is the E3 compared to the E2? Thank you.

I recently took and passed the I2, which is the CA version of E2. Only used the CEC (CA version of NEC) to study from and test from, but I will say that I found Mike Holt's forum to be extremely useful for real life scenarios and specific code references. I spent too much time studying tables and calculations, not a bad thing, but there were very few questions that required knowing that stuff off of the top of your head. As long as you know how to quickly get to the right table or section you should be good to go. With all of these tests it's all about time management. If you think you know the answer just answer and flag. If you can't find the answer guess and flag. Don't spend more than 2 minutes on any question. Ideally you will get through the entire thing (every question answered) in half the allotted time then go back and check all your flagged questions. If you are still unsure on a flagged question after your second pass, leave it flagged and move on. Then spend whatever time you have left after your second pass on the last few questions that you're least sure about. This has worked well for me. Is the E3 the plumbing cert? If so I would say they are structured similarly but I found the electrical to be much more challenging.

I recently took and passed the I2, which is the CA version of E2. Only used the CEC (CA version of NEC) to study from and test from, but I will say that I found Mike Holt's forum to be extremely useful for real life scenarios and specific code references. I spent too much time studying tables and calculations, not a bad thing, but there were very few questions that required knowing that stuff off of the top of your head. As long as you know how to quickly get to the right table or section you should be good to go. With all of these tests it's all about time management. If you think you know the answer just answer and flag. If you can't find the answer guess and flag. Don't spend more than 2 minutes on any question. Ideally you will get through the entire thing (every question answered) in half the allotted time then go back and check all your flagged questions. If you are still unsure on a flagged question after your second pass, leave it flagged and move on. Then spend whatever time you have left after your second pass on the last few questions that you're least sure about. This has worked well for me. Is the E3 the plumbing cert? If so I would say they are structured similarly but I found the electrical to be much more challenging.
Glad to know that you did not have that many load calcs with your exam, I was concerned with the load calculations. I can't imagine that they would be too terrible because I am not allowed to have any scratch paper or a fancy calculator during the exam. I have my E1 ( residential electrical inspector cert) and that exam was not that difficult in my opinion , but it was based on say 120 pages where commercial inspector exam is a thousand pages or so. I will make the index my best friend on this one also. The E3 is the electrical plans examiner and I am hoping that it will be similar the the E2 and I can take it as soon as I pass the E2. 3:30 hours for 80 questions is not that bad. Thank you for your time .Have a great weekend!

No problem and study hard! (But not too hard.) If you've passed another electrical certification I'm sure you'll do fine.

No problem and study hard! (But not too hard.) If you've passed another electrical certification I'm sure you'll do fine.
I hope so, the NEC is not an easy read , I mostly inspect using chapters 1-4 , 680 , 690, and 702 .That kind of covers most or the residential stuff. If i can pass this and the fire pans examiner I will be a happy camper. Mostly.

I often use the electrical section of the IRC to find sections in the NEC, since the IRC notates the code section in the NEC that the IRC rule is based on. You can probably take it with you to test with, I think they allow any copyrighted and bound publication. For than matter, you could take an UGLYs pocket guide with you too...

I often use the electrical section of the IRC to find sections in the NEC, since the IRC notates the code section in the NEC that the IRC rule is based on. You can probably take it with you to test with, I think they allow any copyrighted and bound publication. For than matter, you could take an UGLYs pocket guide with you too...
Just for speed finding things in the NEC.

I forgot about the ugly's guide! I have that. I have a friend that used the IRC electrical section for all of his electrical sections on his building code's and standards module for his CBO certification. And I have used the IRC out in the field if I was without my NEC ALSO.

California's weird. The CA Residential Code is based off of the IRC, but it's only the first half of the IRC. For electrical code, both residential and commercial, its CEC which is based off of the NEC. Fortunately with CEC (as opposed to other CA codes based off of model codes) everything in the NEC is also in the CEC. CA adds some stuff but its mostly in the administrative, and they sprinkle in some OSHPOD stuff used only in medical facilities. CA plumbing and mechanical codes are based off of what's left of the Uniform Codes.

California's weird. The CA Residential Code is based off of the IRC, but it's only the first half of the IRC. For electrical code, both residential and commercial, its CEC which is based off of the NEC. Fortunately with CEC (as opposed to other CA codes based off of model codes) everything in the NEC is also in the CEC. CA adds some stuff but its mostly in the administrative, and they sprinkle in some OSHPOD stuff used only in medical facilities. CA plumbing and mechanical codes are based off of what's left of the Uniform Codes.
The Current State Minimum Standard Codes

The following are the current state minimum standard codes for construction as adopted by the Board of Community Affairs.

Current Mandatory Codes as Adopted by DCA:

• International Building Code, 2018 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2020)
  • International Residential Code, 2018 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2020)
  • International Fire Code, 2018 Edition (Contact State Fire Marshal Below)
  • International Plumbing Code, 2018 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2020)
  • International Mechanical Code, 2018 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2020)
  • International Fuel Gas Code, 2018 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2020)
  • National Electrical Code, 2020 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2021)
  • International Energy Conservation Code, 2015 Edition, with Georgia Supplements and Amendments (2020)
  • International Swimming Pool and Spa Code, 2018 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2020)
  • For information and questions regarding the Life Safety Code (NFPA 101), IFC Georgia Amendments or the Georgia Accessibility Code please contact the State Fire Marshal's Office.
Current Permissive Codes as Adopted by DCA:

• Disaster Resilient Building Code IBC Appendix(2013)
  • Disaster Resilient Building Code IRC Appendix (2013)
  • International Property Maintenance Code, 2018 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2021)
  • International Existing Building Code, 2018 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2021)
  • National Green Building Standard, 2008 Edition, with Georgia Amendments (2011)