• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Firewood processing and storage operation

Bjcomm

Looking for code information related to the outside storage of processed firewood in a commercial operation.
What codes apply with regards to stacking storage and site requirements?

Thanks In Advance

I was in that business for two years. Sold between three and four thousand cords and never stacked any of it. Piled it all and sold it by the truck load. Three cord minimum and filled a truck bed. Of course, I was out in the mountains and an urban setting probably has rules....but for me that would have been a mountain town and the rules, it there were any .... well they would probably not be enforced.

Come to think of it, city dwellers like it shrink wrapped. I tried to sell to an outfit that owned rental cabins. They would only take Cedar, which I didn't have. The city folks couldn't get Oak and Madrone to light on fire.

Last edited:
Looking for code information related to the outside storage of processed firewood in a commercial operation.
What codes apply with regards to stacking storage and site requirements?

Thanks In Advance
You're going to have to be a bit more specific in what you are looking for...

With the limited information provided, I can indicate that you are likely a Group S-1. Depending upon size of building, sprinklers are fairly likely to be required.

See IFC Chapters 9 (Fire Protection and Life Safety Systems), 22 (Combustible Dust-Producing Operations), 28 (Lumber Yards and Agro-Industrial, Solid Biomass and Woodworking Facilities), and 32 (High-Piled Combustible Storage) to start with.

Had someone build a steel pole building without a permit. He was using it to bring in logs from other places, cut, split and store firewood to sell. Ended up in court. Judge said it was agriculture use which does not require a permit.

So a pile of fire wood would be agriculture in PA.

Had someone build a steel pole building without a permit. He was using it to bring in logs from other places, cut, split and store firewood to sell. Ended up in court. Judge said it was agriculture use which does not require a permit.

So a pile of fire wood would be agriculture in PA.
Actually, not sure what else you would call it. It is the product of the land like any other agricultural product is.

Reactions: ICE