• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Pool Fixture Count

NH Pools

I am looking for help in determining fixture count for sanitary facilities for proposed outdoor pool construction at a campground based on recent adoption of the 2015 I-codes. Section 410 Dressing and Sanitary Facilities of the 2015 ISPSC says only this: "Dressing and sanitary facilities shall be provided for Class A and B pools as required by the IBC and IPC." The International Swimming Pool and Spa Code breaks pools up based on their classification. Class A "Competition", Class B "Public" , Class C "Semi-Public" and Class D pools which are specific to larger aquatic recreation facilities. For several reasons I would put a campground pool squarely into Class C. Other than Aquatic Recreation Facilities, which specifies fixture count within the ISPSC, there is no further reference to fixtures in the code. A little help here.....

That's a tough one. Searching the IPC I could not find the words "sanitary facilities" anywhere in the IPC. In the IBC I could only find it under the definition of "Dryfloodproofing", in chapter 23 "Safeguards during construction" and under "Airport Traffic Control Towers"
I could not find "dressing facilities in the IPC or IBC but there are sections about "dressing rooms" in the IBC chapter 11 "Accessibility".

As far as I can tell there are no minimum facilities required for class C pools by the ISPSC. States and/or local health departments often have additional requirements, as well as definitions. As a class C pool, I think the idea is the only people using the pool are occupants of the dwellings that are using it, and therefore have access to their own toilets. Health departments may not agree and in order to avoid "discharge" into the pool, they may require facilities. If you were to use 609, it would probably be over-kill. The ISPSC mandates that A and B pools use the IPC, but makes no mention of class C pools. The IPC sends ALL pools tp 609, which is only for aquatic facilities. I recently asked an ISPSC committee member about this because I too felt it is confusing for the IPC to send everyone to 609. I asked him to address it with the committee but that can take time.

Here is an excerpt from our state division of water quality. It does not exempt their "semi-public pools", which is for use with hotels and mobile home parks, which would probably be closest to what you have. It does exempt "private pools" which include homes, apartments and condo pools. So, while an ISPSC class C pool may not be required to have fixtures by that code, other requirements may exist that the developers need to be aware of.

3.21 TOILETS:
Toilet facilities shall be provided for both males and females and shall be accessible to disabled
persons.

Flush water closets with elongated bowls, and urinals shall be provided and shall be kept clean and
properly maintained. The ratio of water closets shall be one (1) closet and one (1) urinal for each
sixty
(60) men and one (1) water closet for each forty (40) women expected at the time of maximum load.
All fixtures shall be properly protected against back siphonage. Partitions, walls and ceilings
shall be constructed of material not adversely affected by steam, water, or disinfectants.

Toilet rooms shall be ventilated so that no odor nuisance can exist.

3.22 SHOWER FACILITES:

Separate shower facilities shall be provided for males and females shall be accessible to disabled
persons, and, when provided for the exclusive use of swimmers, shall be so located that bathers
must pass through the shower room before entering into the swimming pool area. The minimum number
of showers provided shall be in proportion of one (1) to each forty (40) bathers expected at the
time of maximum load. The ceilings and walls of the shower room or area shall be constructed of
smooth, impervious, easily cleanable material, not adversely affected by steam or water. The floors
of the shower room or area shall be constructed of non-slip, impervious, easily cleanable material,
not adversely affected by steam or water.

Showers shall be supplied with water at a temperature of at least 90°F with a minimum rate of three
(3) gallons of water per shower per minute. Thermostatic tempering, or mixing valves shall be
installed if necessary to prevent scalding of bathers.

Where shower booths are provided in the shower room, the booth partitions shall be of a material
which will not be damaged by shower water and shall have a minimum clearance of six (6) inches
above the floor. Shower rooms shall be provided
light upon all surfaces so that
all parts are visible for easy cleaning.

You determine the occupant load of the pool area per Table 1004.1.2 with 50 gsf for the pool and 15 gsf for deck areas. Then use the assembly fixture ratios; however, the code does not directly address outdoor swimming pools. I would use the factors for gymnasiums.

The IBC and IPC do not address minimum counts for bathing fixtures (i.e., showers) for this type of use.

Why would you not say class B public?
Well this is just my logic and interpretation but the language in the ISPSC for Class C is "...lodgings such as are condos, apartments, hotels, motels" Even though it doesn't specifically say "campground," access to pools for hotels motels apartments and condos...as well as campgrounds, is limited to the residents (semi-public), however transient they may be. Class B language suggests a pool to which the general public has access. A town pool for example. Regardless, I don't understand why the code can't specify directly or point to another standard.

As far as I can tell there are no minimum facilities required for class C pools by the ISPSC. States and/or local health departments often have additional requirements, as well as definitions. As a class C pool, I think the idea is the only people using the pool are occupants of the dwellings that are using it, and therefore have access to their own toilets. Health departments may not agree and in order to avoid "discharge" into the pool, they may require facilities. If you were to use 609, it would probably be over-kill. The ISPSC mandates that A and B pools use the IPC, but makes no mention of class C pools. The IPC sends ALL pools tp 609, which is only for aquatic facilities. I recently asked an ISPSC committee member about this because I too felt it is confusing for the IPC to send everyone to 609. I asked him to address it with the committee but that can take time.

Here is an excerpt from our state division of water quality. It does not exempt their "semi-public pools", which is for use with hotels and mobile home parks, which would probably be closest to what you have. It does exempt "private pools" which include homes, apartments and condo pools. So, while an ISPSC class C pool may not be required to have fixtures by that code, other requirements may exist that the developers need to be aware of.

3.21 TOILETS:
Toilet facilities shall be provided for both males and females and shall be accessible to disabled
persons.

Flush water closets with elongated bowls, and urinals shall be provided and shall be kept clean and
properly maintained. The ratio of water closets shall be one (1) closet and one (1) urinal for each
sixty
(60) men and one (1) water closet for each forty (40) women expected at the time of maximum load.
All fixtures shall be properly protected against back siphonage. Partitions, walls and ceilings
shall be constructed of material not adversely affected by steam, water, or disinfectants.

Toilet rooms shall be ventilated so that no odor nuisance can exist.

3.22 SHOWER FACILITES:

Separate shower facilities shall be provided for males and females shall be accessible to disabled
persons, and, when provided for the exclusive use of swimmers, shall be so located that bathers
must pass through the shower room before entering into the swimming pool area. The minimum number
of showers provided shall be in proportion of one (1) to each forty (40) bathers expected at the
time of maximum load. The ceilings and walls of the shower room or area shall be constructed of
smooth, impervious, easily cleanable material, not adversely affected by steam or water. The floors
of the shower room or area shall be constructed of non-slip, impervious, easily cleanable material,
not adversely affected by steam or water.

Showers shall be supplied with water at a temperature of at least 90°F with a minimum rate of three
(3) gallons of water per shower per minute. Thermostatic tempering, or mixing valves shall be
installed if necessary to prevent scalding of bathers.

Where shower booths are provided in the shower room, the booth partitions shall be of a material
which will not be damaged by shower water and shall have a minimum clearance of six (6) inches
above the floor. Shower rooms shall be provided
light upon all surfaces so that
all parts are visible for easy cleaning.
Sifu-thank you for your observations and questions to the ISPSC committee member.

Why would you not say class B public?
Hi e hilton...thanks for the question BTW. Given the ISPSC classifications...would you lean towards putting a campground pool into Class B, and if so why? Just interested in viewpoints.

NH pools, if you're out there, how did this end up playing out? I have a similar situation with a country club pool that I believe falls into Class C, semi-private.
It doesn't seem like a plumbing fixture count is applicable per the code since they only address Aquatic Recreation Facilities or Class A & B pools.

You did not say the jurisdiction where the project is located.
Out here in California, our adopted version of the IBC includes chapter 31B, which has this section:
1709674686974.png