• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Special Inspectors

D a v e W

Silver Member
Would any jurisdiction, allow a special inspection company to approve a structural change based ONLY on a response to a RFI (Request for Information) between GC (General Contractor) and the EOR (Engineer of Record) without the AHJ's structual engineers reveiw and approval of such field change.

A simple yes or no will do please. Thanks everyone!

I need as many responses as possible before Monday 6:30 am pacific coast time!

Re: Commercial Special Inspectors

DaveW wrote;

Would any jurisdiction, allow a special inspection company to approve a structural change based ONLY on a response to a RFI (Request for Information) between GC (General Contractor) and the EOR (Engineer of Record) without the AHJ's structual engineers reveiw and approval of such field change.A simple yes or no will do please. Thanks everyone!
Absolutely Not. See Section 106.4.

Don't need a structral engineer for a review :)

No - Special Inspectors do not approve anything. They write reports. The report can state that work does not comply with the construction documents and that the EOR has accepted the change per RFI xxx.

I just don't see any wiggle room with the governing code section. Are you indicating accepting the EOR's change without the AHJ's peer review? If so why review then design documents in the first place if his stamp is good enough.

Plans Examiner, actually the the EOR made the changes based of an RFI, then it was inspected by a special inspector without the EOR or GC resubmitting for a field change to the original approved design documents.

Thank again everyone for the opinions, keep posting them.

06 IBC

106.4 Amended construction documents. Work shall be installed in accordance with the approved construction documents, and any changes made during construction that are not in compliance with the approved construction documents shall be resubmitted for approval as an amended set of construction documents.

Due to rapidly advancing age, I misread and misunderstood the question, even though it's perfectly clear the second time around.

My final answer is NO!

Plans Examiner, I know the same feeling on getting older. So far its just reading glasses.... :lol: :)

This thread touches on an even broader concept. The basic reason the answer is NO to the above scenario, is that when all is said and done (building finalled, plans sent to archives/records), the facility must match the approved plans. If field changes are made, and NOT submitted as revisions, and approved by the municipality, then how can the "official" approved plans ever match the field?

this includes all kinds of revisions, not just those in the OP's original scenario. Bottom line: Build it to the approved plans. If changes are needed, then revise the plans (get them approved) and STILL build it to the (revised) plans!

rant terminated...

An RFI should not be used for changing the contract between the owner and GC or design team. By definition, an RFI is a clarification that makes no change to the contract documents or adds to the cost or time of the project. Changes are through either an ASI or actual change order.