• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial water heater

Inspector 102

Silver Member
First off, my area is still under the 1997 Uniform Plumbing Code for enforcement, but all comments appreciated. A local American Legion needs to replace the existing water heater with new. I have found no place in the code that indicates what type they need to provide. They want to go with a 60 gallon standard (residential type) heater due to cost. I advised them that the dishwashing machine ay dictate the size and recovery time required by the manufacturer. Did I miss someplace in the code that will state otherwise?

What they are proposing is fine. make sure there is a shutoff, TPR valve has a discharge pipe and there is a thermal expansion tank.

Don't know UPC that well anymore, but codes typically do not address sizing. However, if the food prep is regulated by a Health Department they may. Colorado Department of Health requires a prescriptive size based on the food service equipment.

$ $ $ $

Inspector 102,

Is the current water heater location compliant?........From the

`06 IPC, Section 501.4 Location."Water heaters and storage tanks

shall be located and connected so as to provide access for

observation, maintenance, servicing and replacement."

% % % %