• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commodities classification

kasa

Are there things stored which would not be classified as even a class 1 commodity- if it's non-combustible and is just stored in heaps without packaging or pallets? 2015 IFC 3203, I notice them list "inert materials, bagged"... so I think they imply that inert materials not in bags then are not a class 1 commodity? The definition of commodity says, "A combination of products, packing materials and container". .. so without packaging/containers, it's just product and thus not a commodity, unless some other wording within each class of commodity calls it out (like "biomass briquettes, bagged and static piles"). For instance, bags of play sand are class I commodity, and if you pile it high it's subject to IFC Chp 32, but if you just make a pile of sand, to such a height, it's not. This passes my "it makes sense" meter, but I want to know if the code supports it as well?

Using 2015 IBC/2015 IFC

You may want to check Factory Mutual, FM Global Property Loss Prevention Data Sheets 8-1 on commodity classification they list many products and the commodity classification including noncombustible. They are free download.
Tom