• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Common Path Of Travel With Non-Separated Mixed Use

Yasir

My Question is that if there is common path of travel which needs to be calculated for a building which is non-separated mixed use. Say if the occupancies are Business, and Assembly.

So now since assembly is more stringent. Would we use CPT distance even in the business space as we use for an assembly? which is that it would be allowed 75'?

My Question is that if there is common path of travel which needs to be calculated for a building which is non-separated mixed use. Say if the occupancies are Business, and Assembly.

So now since assembly is more stringent. Would we use CPT distance even in the business space as we use for an assembly? which is that it would be allowed 75'?

Welcome great first question

COP is from the space or room I do not see how you will have two different occupancy types in the same room. You may have a B office that travel through an assembly room/area but I do not see it happening the other way where an "A" would travel through a "B" occupancy. If it does then I agree the most restrictive distance would apply

For nonseparated occupancies, the CPET distance applies to each individual use. Thus, the Group B occupancy spaces are permitted to have a CPET distance of 100 feet (with sprinkler system) and the Group A occupancy spaces would be limited to 75 feet (IBC Section 1004.4). The "most restrictive" requirement for nonseparated occupancies only applies when determining allowable height and area.

Hmmm. I have seen all of your comments. Thank you for responding.
If a room or space is exceeding the CPT distance then it would require two exits right?
So even if after two exits, the CPT exceeds but the exit travel distance does not then its okay right?

I did not say that. Just no CPT.

COMMON PATH OF EGRESS TRAVEL. That portion of
the exit access travel distance measured from the most remote
point within a story to that point where the occupants have
separate access to two exits or exit access doorways.

Hmmm. I have seen all of your comments. Thank you for responding.
If a room or space is exceeding the CPT distance then it would require two exits right?
So even if after two exits, the CPT exceeds but the exit travel distance does not then its okay right?
Technically, if a space has two means of egress, then there should be no CPET. However, that is not always the case--if the paths from those two exit access doors converge somewhere down the line, then CPET still exists.

For example, if an office has one door that leads to a waiting area and that waiting area has one door to a code-compliant dead end corridor which leads to a main corridor that has an exit at each end, the CPET would be measured from the furthest point in the office to the main corridor.

If this distance exceeded the CPET distance, and you added a second door from the waiting area to the dead end corridor, that would not solve the problem because the two paths from the waiting area converge in the dead end corridor.

However, if the second door from the waiting area leads directly to the main corridor or the exterior, then the two paths would not converge and the CPET would only be measured within the office to the waiting area.

In non separated you use the most stringent 508.3.1 IBC

No.

This whole string seems to have continued predicated on the idea that the most stringent Chapter 10 applies and that is not the case. 508.3 only requires the most stringent application of specific chapters, namely 503, 504, Chapter 9, and a few specific sections per 508.3.1.2.

Chapter 10 is not in that list. Analyze each occupancy separately for compliance regarding egress.

This was very helpful to an issue I'm having with a permit reviewer who's reviewing a 2-story office-warehouse I'm designing.
I'm going to give in to his demands to add a second means of egress stair from a 2nd floor 'B' occupancy with 30 occupants. The Owner is cool with that.

However, based on that PDF, I believe I could argue the following:
- from the furthest corner of an office on the 2nd floor, it is 75' to the bottom of an unenclosed egress access stairway leading to the front exit door.
- it's an additional 31' from the bottom of said stair to the front door 'exit'; therefore, my total exit access distance is 106'.
- my total exit access distance limit for NS 'B' occupancy is 75' for a story with ONE exit; therefore, it seems I have to have 2 exits for the upper floor.
- however, from the bottom of said stair, I technically have access to TWO exits: the front exit door, and another exit down a hallway and through the warehouse S1 space to a side exit door.
- total egress access distance from the upper floor to that 2nd exit is 194'.
- total egress access distance for NS 'B' occupancy is 200'.
- Common Path of Egress Travel max for NS 'B' occupancy is 100'.

All that said, my main contention is this: Don't I have a 'common path of egress travel' situation, of 75' (less than 100') to the bottom of the unenclosed egress access stair, at which point I have access to TWO exits? if so, doesn't my 2nd floor already have 2 exits, including the CPET down the unenclosed stair?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

This was very helpful to an issue I'm having with a permit reviewer who's reviewing a 2-story office-warehouse I'm designing.
I'm going to give in to his demands to add a second means of egress stair from a 2nd floor 'B' occupancy with 30 occupants. The Owner is cool with that.

However, based on that PDF, I believe I could argue the following:
- from the furthest corner of an office on the 2nd floor, it is 75' to the bottom of an unenclosed egress access stairway leading to the front exit door.
- it's an additional 31' from the bottom of said stair to the front door 'exit'; therefore, my total exit access distance is 106'.
- my total exit access distance limit for NS 'B' occupancy is 75' for a story with ONE exit; therefore, it seems I have to have 2 exits for the upper floor.
- however, from the bottom of said stair, I technically have access to TWO exits: the front exit door, and another exit down a hallway and through the warehouse S1 space to a side exit door.
- total egress access distance from the upper floor to that 2nd exit is 194'.
- total egress access distance for NS 'B' occupancy is 200'.
- Common Path of Egress Travel max for NS 'B' occupancy is 100'.

All that said, my main contention is this: Don't I have a 'common path of egress travel' situation, of 75' (less than 100') to the bottom of the unenclosed egress access stair, at which point I have access to TWO exits? if so, doesn't my 2nd floor already have 2 exits, including the CPET down the unenclosed stair?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Welcome

you cannot normally exit thru a storage area.

Will let the guru's answer yes or no

How many sq ft is the 2nd floor?????

Interested in this question. My (related) situation: small H-class room in a office/lab that is otherwise use group B Business. I believe I saw somewhere that only travel distance within the H-class room is restricted to based on use group H. Once out of the room, one can revert to group B allowable distance. Only I'm not clear on whether I was looking at CPET or exit access travel. Wish I could figure out where I saw this! Any leads?