• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Communicating Door - Hotel

cda said:
Ok I could go for one door or two ratedHave not been in a room where the the other room door is openable from the room I am in.

Plus the door is going to hold for awhile till the fire sprinkler activates and saves the day
From my room, I can only open my door. But if the door on my neighbor's side of the wall is a hollow core wood door, and my door is a fire door, and mine is open (pesky kids), my neighbor has no protection because he only has a hollow core door. And if the answer is that the sprinkler will save the day, then why do we even have a requirement for a fire rating?

LGreene said:
From my room, I can only open my door. But if the door on my neighbor's side of the wall is a hollow core wood door, and my door is a fire door, and mine is open (pesky kids), my neighbor has no protection because he only has a hollow core door. And if the answer is that the sprinkler will save the day, then why do we even have a requirement for a fire rating?
That is what I was wondering

The wall only has to be thirty minute and door twenty

Guess keep the door labelers happy

And it is allowed to be open, guess you save one room

My guess would be with every sleeping unit rated and sprinklered and fire alarm.....they are not too worried about the one door opening....

Hollow core doors don't last too long in motels, so both doors will probably be solid core, which will provide close to 20 minutes fire resistance each, whether labeled or not.