• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Community All Gender Restrooms

ccanney

Hello,
I have an A-2 restaurant project in California that utilizes a community all gender restroom design with individual toilet compartments and a common lavatory. Our plumbing fixture count was generated based an a typical Male/Female occupant load and results in 1 toilet, 1 urinal and 1 lav for the Men and 2 toilets and 1 lav for Women. Our all gender room provides individual compartments for the 3 toilets and 1 compartment for the urinal along with a common linear concrete sink with 4 faucets. I am trying to confirm how many of the toilet compartments need to be accessible. If this was a standard Male/Female design we would obviously need 2 total (one for male and one for female) However, this being an all-gender room can we provide one single accessible toilet compartment?
11B 213.2 exception 3 seems to state that we would need 2 as it requires 50% of the single user toilet rooms to be accessible. However, section 11B 213.3.1 detailing with toilet compartments only requires that 5% (but no less than 1) compartment be accessible, until you exceed 6 compartments. Under this interpretation we would only be required 1 accessible compartment. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

A toilet compartment is a space in a larger room.
A compartment is not a room.

2010 ADASAD Advisory 11B-213.3.1 Toilet compartments. A toilet compartment is a partitioned space that is located within a toilet room, and that normally contains no more than one water closet. A toilet compartment may also contain a lavatory. Full-height partitions and door assemblies can comprise toilet compartments where the minimum required spaces are provided within the compartment.

IMPO, Based on that, If the space feeding the Toilet "spaces" is a room, then each Toilet "space" would be a toilet compartment.

I would expect to see 2 fully accessible toilet rooms, one regular toilet room and an accessible urinal at a minimum. And these accessible rooms will need to be 66" wide minimum not 60" as if it were a compartment with toe clearance.

I would expect to see 2 fully accessible toilet rooms, one regular toilet room and an accessible urinal at a minimum. And these accessible rooms will need to be 66" wide minimum not 60" as if it were a compartment with toe clearance.
Yes, accessible toilet compartment would be 66" wide. Can you expand on why you would expect 2 fully accessible toilet compartments and not follow 11B-213.3.1?

Yes, accessible toilet compartment would be 66" wide. Can you expand on why you would expect 2 fully accessible toilet compartments and not follow 11B-213.3.1?
ccanney, He didn't say "toilet compartment", he said "toilet rooms". It is my understanding, that at this juncture, the California codes have no provisions for multi-occupant all gender toilet rooms. The closest you'll get is Unisex (Single User or Family) toilet rooms as described in 11B-213.2.1. Somebody please prove me wrong with a code section allowing multi user all gender toilet rooms.

Interestingly enough I read an ICC article which had excerpts of the 2024 IBC in which showed multi-user all gender toilet room provisions. In that draft of the future code it addressed the topic of your question as to the number of accessible compartments and it required the count to be as if the toilet rooms were not combined and were separate for each sex.

CPC
422.2.1 Single Use Toilet Facilities
Single use toilet facilities and family or assisted use toilet facilities shall be identified with signage indicating use by either sex.

As long as enough single use toilet facilities are provided I think you could do all gender under current California code.
ccanney, He didn't say "toilet compartment", he said "toilet rooms". It is my understanding, that at this juncture, the California codes have no provisions for multi-occupant all gender toilet rooms. The closest you'll get is Unisex (Single User or Family) toilet rooms as described in 11B-213.2.1. Somebody please prove me wrong with a code section allowing multi user all gender toilet rooms.

Interestingly enough I read an ICC article which had excerpts of the 2024 IBC in which showed multi-user all gender toilet room provisions. In that draft of the future code it addressed the topic of your question as to the number of accessible compartments and it required the count to be as if the toilet rooms were not combined and were separate for each sex.
I agree with your statements. It will be interesting to see what the next cycle says.

The code path does not really lead there, but so far we have been able to get past that little detail. And yes 3 complete gender neutral RR with one including a urinal could be used, but two would need to be fully accessible. so it is the same thing. well you get an extra lav. Also 4 faucets does not make 4 lavs. It is 24" clear for each.