• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Compliant? You make the call

jar546

Forum Coordinator
The green wire goes to the metal water pipe.

The black wire is the GEC that goes to the rod (another rod needed or prove <25 ohms)

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

I'll take a shot at it Jeff! How about Art. 408.41 - Grounded Conductor Terminations.

"Each grounded conductor shall terminate within the panelboard in an indiviual

terminal that is not also used for another conductor."

looks like the self tapping screws go thru copper wire nicely

Or am I wrong and its just behind it

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree on the self tapping screws....they are a no no! I'm thinking the paint on the panel might be affecting the grounding too. Plus I wonder if they have "altered" the panel box? :(

I'm not the most proficient at electrical, but always looking to learn. What I see (right or wrong):

1. The conductors have to be landed inside the panel, not on the outside.

2. As stated, self-tapping screws.. are you kidding.

3. The EGC have to be identified on the end with green tape/coloring (assume larger than #6?)

I have the same question as Mule; are you allowed to drill a hole in a listed panelboard enclosure? Or do you have to either use the existing bars or add another one sourced from the manufacturer? I've seen them bolted to an enclosure (paint removed between the two). I don't do electrical inspection, but the question was in the back of my head.

I have worked the self tapping screws/drywall screws used in panel board and gutter from meter to panel fire before.

Last one was a "Dance Studeo" that the bump and grind music eventually wore the screw head through the conductor insulation on the hot wire from the meter, storage in front of the panel helped fuel the fire.

In my home county we managed to burn out both strip clubs--the one at the other end of the county took 10 000 gallons of flaming gasoline at the front door to get rid of it-- only fatality was the truck driver only structure lost was the "gentleman's club". A number of partons were embarressed when they had what was left of their cars towed from the lot.

This has been some great discussion. Thanks for participating. As the inspector I wrote up 3 items for this installation:

250.8(A)(5)&(6) Tek Screws

250.64(D)(2) Because the GEC connection must be IN the service disconnect, not outside

250.12 For the way the lugs were added.

I do not know if those lugs are listed for bonding AND grounding as required.

You may or may not agree with my call but there was nothing else that I was aware of that would need to be done.

TJacobs said:
I wonder if the truck driver was an irate customer...
Unfortunately it was not even the tanker driver's fault--dump truck made U turn in front of him from far right lane on 3 lanes each way divided 45 mph zone main highway.

GHRoberts said:
"are you allowed to drill a hole in a listed panelboard enclosure?"Yes.
Ok, it appears this is common knowledge. Can you point me in the right direction?

You don't show it in the pictures but what about the fasteners attaching the panel to the PT board?

2304.9.5 Fasteners in preservative-treated and fire-retardant-treated wood.

Fasteners for preservative- treated and fire-retardant-treated wood shall be of hot dipped zinc-coated galvanized steel, stainless steel, silicon bronze or copper. The coating weights for zinc-coated fasteners shall be in accordance with ASTM A 153.

Exception: Fasteners other than nails, timber rivets, wood screws and lag screws shall be permitted to be of mechanically deposited zinc coated steel with coating weights in accordance with ASTM B 695, Class 55 minimum.

TimNY said:
Ok, it appears this is common knowledge. Can you point me in the right direction?
They make panel boxes without holes. The contractor punches holes as needed.

I think the only code provision with respect to holes is that unused holes be covered.

TimNY said:
GEC didn't have to be green/bare (6 or smaller) or identified with green marking at the end?
No, the requirement for green marking is found in NEC 250.119, but that section applies to equipment grounding conductors, not grounding electrode conductors. There is no color requirement for grounding electrode conductors.

EPrice said:
No, the requirement for green marking is found in NEC 250.119, but that section applies to equipment grounding conductors, not grounding electrode conductors. There is no color requirement for grounding electrode conductors.
Thanks for the reply EPrice. I'm always learning!