• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Concealed spaces not requiring sprinkler protection" (NFPA 13 8.15.1.2.1)

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
We have an I-1 structure of V-B construction being constructed with an NFPA 13 system. The roof structure is a 6/12 gable roof, constructed of light gauge steel trusses and 5/8 CDF plywood sheathing (shingled roof). Because of the width of the building, the 6/12 pitch yields a rather large "attic" space above the ceiling. The sprinkler drawings that have been submitted do not provide attic coverage, citing the section (NFPA 13 8.15.1.2.1), which exempts concealed spaces of non-combustible construction.

The question is: Does the commodity fir plywood roof sheathing make this a combustible concealed space?

Look at the definitions in NFPA 13 for Noncombustible and Limited Combustibles. I don't think plywood will meet the ASTM test.

what is the rest of the attic area or ceiling/ studs of the floor below made out of ??? wood???

my call is if you can see wood you sprinkle, now if they want to sheetrock so you do not see the roof deck, and there is no other wood in the attic area, then they are good to go.

cda said:
what is the rest of the attic area or ceiling/ studs of the floor below made out of ??? wood?
All the rest of the attic is non-combustible: Light-gauge steel trusses, fiberglass insulation, gypsum ceiling, walls beneath are steel studs - everything but the roof sheathing, which is not FRT.

So the consensus is that it does not meet the requirements for the exemption??

Thanks, by the way, for helping with this...

like fm reply either sprinkle or use wood that meets nfpa 13 for non com or limited

Yes I would tell them to sprinkle if I could see the wood

Not to get off topic....but is there a fire treated wood that meets ASTM E 136? Which I believe is the test for noncombustibility? Every time I have seen it here...it has not...

Do the steel trusses have the correct coatings for FRT to be used? If the hangers and connectors have to be properly coated then the same logic would apply to steel trusses that will come in contact with FRT. The preservatives are corrosive to steel over time

Thanks, mtlogcabin - good points! I'll try to file all of this information away in my unreliable memory for the next project that comes along.

In this particular case, the sprinkler plans were a deferred submittal; the building plans were approved, which included notes indicating a full '13' system. Now the trusses are up, sheathed, shingled, and they are ready to hang ceilings. I would doubt that complete removal of the roof structure is a viable option at this point.

Oh well!!

Sheetrock or treated wood to cover the wood deck would eliminate sprinklers

Just have to figure which is cheaper

Good point about the treated and steel framing MT....they do usually spec stainless fasteners, but I have never heard anyone address the framing...

What FM said...I believe the use of FRT is a permitted exception in NFPA 13...

cda, you mention if you can't see wood, you don't have to sprinkler. Would you apply that criterion to layed-in ceiling tiles within 6 inches of the bottoms of the joists?

Have to look at 13 to see what it says

Seem to remember it says sheet rock or similar attached

Code2Driver ---- I would not allow it for the following reasons -

ACT tiles are not permanent

The fuel gas code states that this area (between the ACT tile and the wood joist/flooring syste) is not a concealed space -

ACt tiles do not count as a thermal barrier for building envelopes ( allows air movement)

To many times while performing fire inspections, ceiling tiles are missing due to moisture problems, IT Cables, phone cables, or removed for access and never put back.

JMHO - yours and others may vary greatly.